USB Type C Docking Station with Thunderbolt 3?

would like to understand Thunderbolt 3 vs USB Type C for the new Triple Monitor docking station. The dell Precision Mobile 7510 workstations have Thunderbolt 3 connectors… have been told they work with and are basically the same as USB Type C, but have read differently. All I want to know is will the Dell with a THunderbolt connection work with that dock or no? THANKS

Model UD-ULTCDL

Hi Chase,

Thanks for posting, and I would be happy to answer your question.

All Thunderbolt 3 ports can also function as a USB Type C port, so in theory our Triple Display docking station can work with your Dell Precision 7510. I say ‘in theory’ because we have not tested that model in our lab so we cannot guarantee compatibility and each Thunderbolt 3/USB Type-C system can be a little different in how the manufacturer implemented the various technologies.

That said, we have had one customer report that our dock works well with the Dell Precision 5510. While not the same exact model that you have, it is in the same family. We do offer a 30-day no-hassle return policy, so should you wish to try the dock with your system and find that it doesn’t work as expected there is no problem returning the unit for a full refund.

Let us know if you have any additional questions!

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Awesome! Thank you for the reply. That’s what I figured so I will order it as soon as the laptop is ordered and give it a try. If I have problems I will let you all know.

How about a good ol’ discount to test for you? :slight_smile: LOL

thanks for the help