USB to my 47" hdmi TV with Plugable UGA-2K-A ub 2.0 to vga/dvi/hdmi

Will a UGA-2K-A work with my HP laptop which has a native screen resolution of 1280x800? I want to plug this adapter into a USB 2.0 port and display 1080P (1920x1080) on my 1080P TV. I have no problem doing this with my mid-tower with an HDMI output.

Hi David,

Yep, this will work, no problem. The USB display is completely independent from your laptop screen. So when Windows has been told to extend the desktop across the two displays, you can actually have a higher mode on the USB display than your laptop itself can support. It’s one good effect of the “virtual” aspect of USB displays.

Note that when Windows is in the default mode of mirroring the same desktop on both displays, Windows will choose the lowest common mode between the two, which would be the 1280x800 of your laptop screen.

Two notes about running on a 1080p TV:

* This is a USB graphics adapter - to use the TV’s speakers, the audio needs to be run separately
* We don’t recommend playing back motion video at 1080p (1920x1080) over USB 2.0 - the bus just isn’t fast enough, and you’ll experience lag from time to time (it’s actually fine for short clips, but generally not good for a full 2 hour movie). 1920x1080 will work well enough for most, If you stay away from motion video and 3D gaming and stick with normal web and application use.

Thanks for the question!
Bernie