USB switcher doesn't work on first attempt..always have to toggle the button to get it to work

Hi,

I bought your usb2 switch 2 – a usb switcher that allows me use one keyboard on 2 mac minis. When I switch from one to the other it doesn’t work on my first attempt. I need to toggle the button several times before the other machine recognizes the keyboard. Is there something I can do to fix this problem?
Thanks

Hi Seth-

Thanks for posting with your issue- I’m sorry to hear about the inconsistent behavior of your switch.

The only suggestion I can offer from a troubleshooting perspective is that the LED’s (Green for A and Red or Blue for B depending on your unit) should consistently switch to indicate which port is active. If you’re finding that the button doesn’t reliably actually switch, then please verify the following details to a mail to support@plugable.com (rather than posting this publicly here) and we’ll get you taken care of!

1. Amazon order ID
  2. Serial number from sticker on unit
  3. Shipping address.
  4. A link to this thread.

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett
Plugable Technologies

Thanks for your fast reply, Jeff.

I just emailed the answers to your questions to the email address you gave above.

Best,
Seth

Just for public record, the fix in this case turned out to be removing a troublesome USB extension cable, not the switch itself.

For anyone having issues with devices not being detected after switching, removing any USB hubs or extension cables connected between the switch and the PC for troubleshooting is recommended.

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett
Plugable Technologies

Jeff is 100% correct – the original unit was fine, it was my cable configuration that caused the problem (see above).

He sent me a new unit the same day I made this tech support inquiry.
Thanks to Jeff and Plugable for being very much on the case and responsive.