I recently updated my Dell XPS 13 9365, and now, none of the usb ports recognize my usb devices such as my flash drive and my usb-powered speakers. Any way to fix this issue?
Hello and thanks for posting!
Based on your description, it sounds like there may be an authentication issue happening. To expand further, a Thunderbolt 3 dock must be authenticated or ‘approved’ before certain elements will function. While video outputs will always function regardless of authentication status, the USB ports, Ethernet port and audio port will not work if they are not properly authenticated.
Given that the problem coincided with a Windows Update, our first step is to ensure that the Intel Thunderbolt Software that controls this process is in a good state by reinstalling the latest version provided by Dell and then re-authenticating the dock. If you would, please follow these steps:
- Disconnect the TBT3-UDV from the system and remove its power cable so it turns off completely. Please keep it disconnected until prompted.
- Uninstall the Intel ‘Thunderbolt Software’ present on your system via the Control Panel -> Programs and Features.
- Restart the system, even if not prompted.
- Download and install of fresh copy of the Intel Thunderbolt Software published for your system by Dell from here -> http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/e…
- Restart the system once again, even if not prompted.
- Reconnect the power cable to the TBT3-UDV dock, and then reconnect the Thunderbolt 3 cable from the dock to your system.
- You should be prompted to authenticate/approve the dock, similar to what we show here -> https://plugable.com/products/tbt3-ud… Please approve the device as shown in the example using the ‘Always Connect’ option. * There is a chance the approval prompt will not pop-up automatically. If that is the case please just proceed with the next step for now. *
- Please test the USB and ports in the dock again.
Please let us know if that helps when you have a moment, and thank you for giving us the chance to help!
Thank you, Bob!
I followed the directions, and everything seems to be back to normal! I really appreciate the link to the software from Dell. I know I would have never been able to find that on my own! Thanks again!
Glad to hear everything is working again, and you are of course most welcome for the assistance.
Please let us know if you need any help in the future!