USB Ports dropping and reactivating

OK so this seems to be an issue for many people but i cannot find the solution. My UD-3900 is dropping and reconnecting my keyboard and mouse intermittently. I have already tried the reset - unplug power and the usb connector to the computer. The monitors work great but the USB is the problem. Note the green light turns off when this issue happens. It occurs once every minute or so.

Note I also used the Cleaner tool and reinstalled the drivers and this also failed.

Hi,

Thanks for contacting us! I am sorry this is not working as expected.

There are some software and power management settings that may be affecting USB devices connected to the docking station. One such setting is part of the Intel Management Engine Interface used in many laptop/notebook computers with Intel processors. The setting attempts to save power by turning off USB devices connected to the system, however it also attempts to turn off devices connected to USB hubs like in the docking station.

Based on your description of the behavior, our first step is to get some additional information from your system to help determine if this could be caused by a power setting like the Intel Management Engine Interface setting mentioned above.

Please let me know the manufacturer name and model number of the computer and I will look up the hardware specifications, alternatively we can gather the necessary information with our PlugDebug log gathering utility.

If you would, please keep the dock connected to the computer with the USB devices connected to the docking station and attach the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug ( http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug ) to an email to our support team at ‘support@plugable.com’ with the subject line ‘Ticket #312207 - Attention Pat’ as this will allow us to examine some log files from your system to help determine the next steps.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

I have the exact same problem after recently installing updates including Windows 10 update from 1903 to 1909 and Dell XPS Laptop updates which included the Intel Management Engine! You mention the Intel Management Engine Setting but you fail to describe how to disable the USB power setting you are referring to.

Ah ha! I think this is the answer. Will see if it fixed the issues. Note, right click on EVERYTHING under the USB Controller section to make sure EVERYTHING has power management turned off.

https://apteryx.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041367673-Disable-USB-Power-Management-Selective-Suspension

Hi consultant,

Thank you for replying to this thread.

I have included the installation instructions below:

Dell first identified this issue and created a registry patch available here ( https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03471411M/13/Dell_Dock_USB_TYPE-C_PATCH_2K0JJ_A00_SETUP_ZPE.exe ). This applies only to systems with Intel Management Engine, the patch should not cause any negative behavior on systems with the Intel Management Engine, however we have not tested it on, for example, AMD based computers and do not recommend installing this patch unless verifying the system includes the Intel Management Engine. To install this patch please perform the following:

1. Download the executable patch from the link above and save it to an easily accessible location like the Desktop or Downloads folder
  2. Disconnect the docking station from the computer
  3. Right-click on the executable patch file and select “Run as administrator” from the drop down menu
  4. Allow the application to run through the User Account Control prompts
  5. Follow the on screen prompts to complete the patch process
  6. Restart the computer when completed to apply the patch
  7. When back a the desktop reconnect the docking station

I am working with the original poster via email to see if this issue resolves the mouse and keyboard problems reported and will be replying back to this post if the patch is successful.

Please let us know if this helps with the mouse and keyboard.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hello,

While working with the original poster via direct email, the above Dell patch for the Intel Management Engine has resolved the issue with the mouse and keyboard intermittently disconnecting from the system.

With the original poster’s question resolved I will go ahead and close this thread, please feel free to contact our support team directly via email at ‘support@plugable.com’ or through a new thread if you run into similar issues that are not resolved by the above Dell software patch.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com