USB Microscope doesn't register as a camera; Camera app cannot see it and uses webcam instead

We got USB Microscope for Christmas, and it doesn’t work. The drivers install when it is plugged in, and it shows up in Device Manager under Sound Video and Game Controllers and also under Devices and Printers. When I start the Camera app, I’m only shown video from my other old webcam.
How do I get this to make the Camera app allow me to select which webcam I want the camera app using? Do I need to patch the registry?
(This Community Support forum form is ridiculous too - the “RELATED PRODUCT/SERVICE” checkbox list does not display enough characters for me to figure out which product this applies to. Because I might not have select the right RELATED PRODUCT/SERVICE, this is for a USB Microscope that we just bought new).

This is on Windows 10, Version 10.0.10725.1000

Hello RMDEQ,

Thanks for reaching out on our forums, and I apologize for the issue you’re having with the Plugable USB Digital Microscope (https://plugable.com/products/usb2-mi…)! The microscope uses a generic webcam chipset, and while the microscope does not have any audio it’s part of the chip inside the microscope and is why you’re seeing an entry under the Sound Video and Game Controller section in Device Manager.

Based on the description of the problem, it sounds like we need to change the device used by the Camera application to the microscope. On Windows 10, there should be a button for ‘Change Camera’ at the top. Click this and ensure ‘USB Microscope’ is selected and test things out. If you don’t see the microscope in the Camera app, I recommend trying the Plugable Digital Viewer software (you can download it with the link below).

https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin…

In Plugable Digital Viewer, you’ll need to ensure the microscope is being used rather than another camera (like with the Windows Camera app). Click the gear in the upper left hand corner to access settings, and from the drop down menu for devices select ‘USB Microscope’.

If things continue to not work as expected, I’d like to get some log files from the computer to see if there might be a driver or hardware issue at play. If you can leave everything connected and run our debug tool, we should be able to get some idea of what’s going wrong. Please run the PlugDebug tool and email the .zip file it creates to support@plugable.com, put ‘Ticket #209199’ in the email subject to make sure it gets to me.

Here’s how: http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

Let me know if you have any questions, and I look forward to working with you on this issue!

Regards,

Patrick
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Everyone,

We attempted to reach out to RMDEQ regarding the issue on this thread, but we have not received a response back. If RMDEQ or anyone else is experiencing the same issue, please let us know by contacting us directly at support@plugable.com, and we would be happy to assist!

Thank you for your patience,

Patrick
www.plugable.com/support