USB Keyboard Regularly Misses Letters and Spaces

I have a very old USB keyboard so this might be the problem, but it seems to miss letters and spaces frequently when I type. Could this be an issue with my recent installation of the Plugable UD-160-A USB 2.0 Universal Docking Station? Should I try replacing the old USB keyboard? It didn’t seem to happen before I installed the docking station…

Hi Jessie-

Thanks for posting with your issue!

While I don’t want to downplay the possibility that your issue is coming from our dock, my 1st guess is that there is another device on USB somewhere causing interference. To be completely honest it might be easier to replace the keyboard than isolate the issue.

The following troubleshooting steps should help us isolate the issue, and you’ve already done the 1st step by letting me know you don’t notice the issue when connected.

The next thing I’d like to do is get a list of all the usb devices that are connected, and if those are connected through another hub or extension. For example, my laptop has 2 usb ports on it with the following devices connected:

1. Plugable UD160A docking station with onboard graphics
    a. Plugable UGA-160 graphics adapter
    b. Plugable USB mouse
    c. Sandisk USB Flash drive
    d. Western Digital USB external HDD

2. Plugable USB 3.0 4 port hub
    a. Plugable U3 SATA Hard drive docking station
    b. Plugable U3 SATA Hard drive docking station
    c. empty
    d. empty

I know this might be a fair amount of detail, so if you’d rather simply try disconnecting some of the other devices, the process I would follow would essentially be trying to eliminate any other hubs, and seeing if you’re able to isolate the issue to one particular OTHER usb device when connected directly to the pc.

Sorry for the long response, but this really sounds like an interference issue which is a little labor intensive to isolate.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance, I’m glad to help!

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett

Thanks for your prompt and thorough reply, Jeff. I am going to try replacing the keyboard before I attempt in-depth troubleshooting. It just seems easier! I’ll let you know if changing out the keyboard does not resolve my issue.

Thanks again,
Jessie

Sounds great Jessie, I’ll be curious to hear if the new keyboard works out.

Best wishes-

Jeff