USB Hub causes keyboard media keys to malfunction

I recently bought a Plugable 10-port USB hub which otherwise works great. When I connect my Logitech Media Elite keyboard via the hub, it makes the media keys malfunction. When I press “mute” on the keyboard, the computer is muted but when I press the button again it does not un-mute. If I tap once to lower the volume, it goes down all the way and cannot be raised. If I connect the keyboard directly to the PC (Windows 7 64 bit), all of these issues resolve. They only occur while the product is connected via the USB hub.

Hi Michail,

Thank you for posting your question here, we’ll be glad to help! Let’s start by trying a few things to narrow down the issue:

1. With the hub power adapter plugged in, try plugging in the keyboard to one of the ports in the back left of the hub, instead of the 4 front hubs, does that make a difference?
  2. If option 1 didn’t help, try re-installing the driver for your keyboard after plugging it into the hub. Looks like you can download the necessary driver from Logitech here: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support

Let me know your findings and we’ll figure out next steps!

Thanks,
Ellen

Hi Ellen, thanks for your prompt reply :slight_smile:

I tried plugging the keyboard into the front ports, the back ports, and the swivel ports but with the same result.

I also re-installed the driver several times [yesterday and today] but that did not change anything.

-Michail

Hi Michail,

Thanks for doing those tests. We haven’t encountered any similar issues in the past with this hub, would you by any chance have a different USB hub you could try this keyboard with? It would be great to know if this is a limitation with only our hub or if the problem is consistent across different hubs.

Also, if you connect the hub and keyboard to a different computer is the behavior still the same?

Thanks for your patience in working with us, we’ll get it figured out!
Ellen

Hi Ellen,

I tried using my old Belkin 4-port USB Hub and it didn’t even recognize the keyboard. It seems as if the keyboard is just not designed to be used through the hubs. I’ll contact Logitech and see what they say.Thanks again for your help.

-Michail

Hi Michail,

Thanks for the update! Please let us know if we can help in any way after you speak with Logitech!

Thanks,
Ellen