USB devices don't connect around 1 in 4 times

About 1 times out of 4, USB devices don’t work when docking my M1 Macbook Air. Unplugging the USB-C cable and plugging back in again once almost always fixes the issue. When USB devices aren’t working, displays connected to the dock (both USB-alt and DisplayLink) do work and the laptop charges.

The dock is 5 months old but this has happened since new. Using all original Plugable power and USB-C cables.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

USB device detection problems like this are a known issue at this time with M1 Macs and the UD-ULTC4K. We have some information and suggestions here: https://kb.plugable.com/question/825145

Unfortunately, as of macOS 11.3.1 we still do not have a known permanent solution. However, we have not retested after the most recent 11.4 macOS release this week to see if the situation has changed.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

The problem I am experiencing isn’t quite the same as the one linked.

My issue differs in the following ways:

• Macbook is already powered on (not starting up, has been running for hours/days) and I connect it to the dock.
  • Displays connected to the dock (both USB-alt and DisplayLink) work, but USB devices do not.

I am still experiencing the issue with MacOS 11.4.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.