USB-C without DP alt mode

I currently have a GF63 thin 9SC 059CA MSI laptop, wich has a usb-c port. The usb-c port does not support dp alt mode nor charging my laptop. I want to know if I can still use a docking station in order to display 2 hd monitors via the dock…?

Recap : I want to extend my laptop view to two monitors via the dock, my laptop ports does not support dp alt mode, will it be compatible to the dock?

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! I’d be more than happy to assist you.

We wouldn’t recommend this scenario with our USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 docks as they have historically not worked well with MSI systems (with or without USB-C Alt Mode and/or PD).

We would instead recommend a more traditional USB-A 3.0 dock since it won’t rely on the USB-C technologies your system is missing for the dock to operate correctly.

We’d recommend something like this model: http://plugable.com/products/ud-3900
If you need 4K support, see this model instead: http://plugable.com/products/ud-6950

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

Hi Joshua, thanks for your answer! I was also wondering if the docks you suggested were recommended for gaming?

No problem!

Unfortunately, no. These docks are definitely not recommended for gaming. For gaming, since your system doesn’t have USB-C video, or Thunderbolt 3 support, it may be best to connect your displays directly to the laptop itself.

This is because the aforementioned docks use virtual USB graphics devices, and aren’t capable of gaming at high enough performance (if at all, depending on the game).

Best wishes,
Josh

Okay, so let’s say I connect one display to my laptop and the other display on the dock, is it something possible to do?

That is a possibility, we’ve had others do so in the past. Some games may still have issues just due to the presence of a DisplayLink USB graphics device, but that’s somewhat rare. The most important thing is to have the primary Windows display set to the directly attached display and not a display connected via the dock.

Thanks!
Josh

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.