USB-C VGA Adapter not working

I purchased a USB-C VGA adapter from Lenovo for an external monitor. The adapter initially worked. Then after removing and later replugging it in I get the following error: DisplayPort Connection might not work, try using a different cable. I then purchased another cable and receive the same message. Can you advise how to solve for this? Lenovo Yoga Model #720 13IKB

Hi Laura, thanks for posting and I will be happy to help!

Thank you for the description of the behavior you are seeing. Would you be able to let us know the brand and model of monitor you are connecting to? Also, would you be able to confirm that the input setting on the monitor is set to VGA? This could be a quick variable to double-check as some monitors don’t automatically switch the input being used.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi David,

I am connecting to an ACER AL1914 and yes the input is VGA (there is only one option). It worked and then after i disconnected the adapter and reconnected it i was given the error above. I have tried two adapters and get the same error.

Hi Laura, thanks for the reply with that additional information. Does this same issue occur regardless of USB-C port on your Yoga 720? I ask because in reading the manual here –> https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/… it appears that the front most USB-C port support video output while the back most USB-C port does not (printed page 10 and PDF page 14 of the manual).

If you are connecting to the front most USB-C port, then something else is occurring and it would be very rare for two adapters to be faulty after initial use or upon first connection. Worst case, we can send you replacements that have been pre-tested to ensure they are working. However, before doing so, would it be possible to swap the VGA cable that is being used just to see if the behavior still does not change? Understood if this is not possible to test.

Please let us know this additional information whenever you have a moment and we will go from there.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

There is only one USB-c port on the Yoga 720 130IKB on the left side- I swapped the VGA cable and still have the same error as before. So that eliminates the VGA cord, I have also eliminated the adapter (I’ve tried two), could there be something that is causing the port to fail?

Thanks for the reply. Interesting that your Yoga 720 13IKB only has one USB-C port on the left hand side. The manual seems to indicate that the Yoga 720 13IKB has two USB-C ports on the left hand side while the Yoga 720 15IKB has one on the left hand side that does not support video and another on the right hand side that does support video. I can’t say with certainty if the port itself has failed, but a way to test this would be to connect other USB-C devices, if possible.

Other than connecting to a different monitor to continue narrowing things down, we would want to send you a replacement USBC-VGA adapter to rule out a hardware issue with the two adapters you have and one of our USBC-VGA-CABLES (https://plugable.com/products/usbc-vg…) to see if this device works any better. Please let us know if you would like to try these replacements out and I will contact you directly on the email address tied to your forum account to begin the replacement process.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Well this is comical - I apparently replugged it in to the incorrect port! You can ignore me and shame me now - you can close this ticket