USB-C Triple Display Docking Station Sound Problem

Hi,

I bought a USB-C Triple Display Docking Station (UD-ULTCDL-EU) from Amazon UK on 13th October 2017, to use with my laptop (HP Spectre x360 13-ac002na, Windows 10 Home 64-bit) and monitor (LG 29UM68-P).

First off, good job, it’s a nice bit of kit to connect my laptop to all peripherals and charge it at the same time.

I am experiencing a problem with the sound performance though, and hope that you could help. Basically, my laptop is connected via HDMI to the dock, and I’ve also connected a pair of external speakers to the analogue headphone socket on the dock. So together with the laptop’s own internal speakers, there are 3 possible playback devices. There are two problems:

1. The 2K HDMI port on the dock doesn’t give me any sound at all, picture is fine, but no sound whatsoever. I looked under Playback Devices, the Plugable analogue and laptop speakers are there, but not the LG.

2. On the 4K HDMI, I do get sound from the LG, but the performance is inconsistent. The issue is that it’ll lose sound from time to time, the LG entry would still be there and made default in Playback Devices, but no sound would come out from the monitor speakers. It’ll come back if I restart the dock (disconnect and reconnect power) or disable the other two options in Playback Devices. There is no obvious trigger to the problem, sometimes it’d be fine the whole day, other time it’ll lose sound several times a day.

I’m up to date with Windows update, there is no warning message under Device Manager.

Any help appreciated!

Hello Benny,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

We have a troubleshooting tool that helps us find out what is going on in situations like this. Please plug the dock into your computer, then go to this page and follow the instructions there:

http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry
Plugable Technologies