usb c screens goes black and then restarts peiodically

USB -C disconnects and then reconnects randomly, makes device unusable

Both monitors go black, the USB C disconnects and then everything reconnects and my screens comes back after a few seconds. This happens on an irregular basis, but continues to happen about 10-20 times per hour. I have an HP Elitebook x360 1030 g2. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. I have 2 identical setups (one at home and one at the office) and am only experiencing the issues at the office.

Hello Richard,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you. I’ve also replied to you directly via email.

Since this is only happening at one location (and assuming you’re using the same computer, taken from home to work) then I would suspect an issue with the dock, or perhaps something connected to the dock causing it to behave this way.

Usually some things to recommend are just double check the connections are all secure and you may want to try to power cycle the dock and see if that helps anything. If you haven’t already done so, fully unplug the dock from all devices, power, and USB-C cable to the host computer. Wait about 30-60 seconds, then reconnect the power cable first, USB-C host cable next, and USB devices last. Sometimes a reset in this order can resolve this issue.

If not, reach out to us directly at support@plugable.com and we’ll collect some information to look into a replacement for you.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry
Plugable Technologies