USB-C SATA Hard Drive Dock - no connection with USB-C

Have a new USB-C SATA Hard Drive Dock that I’ve attached to my HP ZBook Studio G3 running Windows 10 Pro.

Seems to work fine with the USB-C to USB-A cable but when I try to use the type C to C cable, the drive shows up in Explorer for a while but cannot be accessed (nothing happens when clicked on, no window opens, no errors). After 1-2 minutes, the icon disappears. The computer also does not seem to recognize that there is a USB connection like it does when the type C to A cable is used (USB icon in task tray).

Anyone have any idea whether this may be a defective unit?

Hi Richard,

Thanks for contacting Plugable!

The USB-C standard is still not completely standardized between all manufacturers, especially with ports that *should* support USB 3.1 Gen 2 performance.

Because of this, we sometimes experience similar USB-C behavior in our labs when testing new laptops or motherboards with USB-C connector type.

Each case’s solution was different based on manufacturer but was always a computer-side fix, not a USB-C device issue or defect.

Plugable can offer you direct troubleshooting assistance to see if we can isolate the cause for your issue as well.

Please shoot us an email at support@plugable.com and we can provide personalized assistance. Thanks!

• Jordan