USB-C Port on UD-ULTCDL disconnects when moved

I just received my UD-ULTCDL from Amazon. I connected it up to my Samsung series 9 work laptop and then to two 24 inch monitors. It worked. The 4K port is set as my main Windows 10 monitor and the laptop is set to “Turn off the display” when lid is closed on power. This gives me two x 24 inch monitors.

From time to time the main screen stopped. Just went black. Nothing would bring it back. I installed the latest drivers, powered off, rebooted the PC, unplugged the Plugable, switched the monitors, replaced the HDMI cables. Then, I moved the USB-C cable (that runs power, both monitors and the hardwired LAN) and the main monitor went off. I wiggled it and sure enough the cable you supplied with the Pluggable is not making good contact with the box. I reversed the cable end to end and it still does it.

I do not know if this is the cable or the Plugable box. I do know this is a work computer and I do know that it needs to be fixed quickly please.

I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards
Pete

Hello Pete,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

It does sound like there’s a bad connection. Assuming that you don’t have a spare USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 or better cable floating around to test with, we may need to replace both dock and cable to try and rule out what’s causing the issue.

To protect your privacy, please contact us directly at support@plugable.com with:

1. Amazon Order ID #

2. Serial # off the bottom of the dock

3. Best shipping address

Just mention “Ticket # 306273” in the email subject.a

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

Joshua,

Thanks for your reply. I have just replied by email with the information you asked for.

Let’s hope this get quickly resolved as this is my home work laptop during lockdown.

Thanks in advance
Pete

Thanks Pete!

Got the information.

We’ll be in touch again soon once the replacement has been issued. We’ll include tracking information and a prepaid return shipping label with instructions on how to send this likely defective unit back for inspection.

Best,
Josh

Josh, I received the new device today. Fast service, thanks. I am not working from home today so the swap out will need to wait until tomorrow. I have also bought another USB-C yo USB-C 3.1 cable from Amazon so I now have plenty of parts to play swapsy with. Hopefully I’ll soon have an answer. I’ll get back to you as soon as I have found which bits work and which do not.

Thanks for your help and fast service.

1 Like

Thanks for the update! Definitely keep me in the loop if there are any further issues, will be happy to assist if needed.

Have a great day!
Josh

Josh, I have shipped the old unit back to you via USPS today. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Thank you Pete!

I have also received your most recent follow up direct email. I’ll be replying to you there soon.

Best wishes,
Josh

Josh, The new unit is working so far. Thank you very much.

Ha! I just read that you are an audiophile. Me too. I have a 1959 tube amplifier that I have restored. I also build telescopes as a hobby.

1 Like

You’re most welcome!

I’ve been focusing on planar magnetic headphone design myself. I’ve built a few one off prototypes that I use almost daily! I’ve also got a little hybrid solid state amp with some vintage Soviet tubes at the pre stage. I’ve yet to get into telescopes, maybe someday!

Best,
Josh

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.