USB-C drive disconnecting randomly from my TBT3-UD1-83

I’ve seen this issue with other Plugable hardware dating back to 2013, but didn’t see this problem posted on this particular TB3 hub so posting here.

I have a USB-C LaCie 2 TB external hard drive (not ssd) and have it plugged into the front-facing USB-C port on my new TB3 hub going into my iMac via TB3. I did manage to do a 600GB backup that took a few hours while I slept, didn’t seem to have any issues with disconnection, as it would’ve interrupted and I think caused the backup to fail. But now that I’m awake and stuff’s up and running, I have received intermittent, random messages that I have “improperly disconnected” my external drive (the LaCie) … note, I the cable connection is solid, and the drive reconnects later by itself, as I can see it available to access in my finder window.

Any clues, solutions, hints, patches, or at the very least, similar problems from anyone else? :slight_smile: Thanks all!

Hello Chris,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

We have a troubleshooting tool that helps us find out what is going on in situations like this. Please plug the drive into your dock, with the dock attached to the computer, then go to this page and follow the instructions there:

http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

I can then see if anything stands out in the system logs to indicate why this is happening. Otherwise, does your drive have the ability to also connect with standard USB-A (3.0)? I’m curious if this issue only happens via the C port, or if any USB connection on the dock behaves this way with your drive.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

Hi Chris,

I have received the diagnostics that you’ve sent over! I will reply back via email directly once I’ve finished reviewing it.

Best,
Josh

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.