USB-C 4k Stopped Working With Streaming Services

Hello!

I have an M1 Mac running 12.3.1 Monterey with the latest version of Chrome. I’ve been able to stream content from ESPN, Netflix, Hulu, etc for over a year without issue. Now, content from all of those providers is blacked out. I can hear sound, but no video. If I unplug the docking station from my Mac I can see video on the main screen.

So odd. Everything was working fine a couple weeks ago. Not sure what changed. I’ve tried disconnecting cables and unplugging the dock from power for over a minute.

Appreciate any help!

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

It sounds like you’re running into an HDCP (copyright protection) issue. I’m actually surprised that these features had been working previously. For context, USB video adapters and USB docking stations based on DisplayLink technology (like your UD-ULTC4K) do not support the playback of copy-protected or encrypted video content (HDCP), and we do our best to call this out in our product listings.

More information can be found here. https://kb.plugable.com/questions/1339791

While Plugable is unfortunately unable to officially support the use of any streaming service in conjunction with our DisplayLink-based products due to the HDCP limitations, we have had reports from customers achieving success by using the Google Chrome web browser and turning off “Hardware Acceleration” in the settings.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry
Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.