Usb c 4k 60hz

Hello. I want to run a 4k 60hz monitor with 2 1080p monitors off a laptop with usb 3 and thunderbolt 3 ports [Dell. Precision 5510]. I have your usb c to hdmi 2.0 on order, which should drive the 4k ok at 60hz. I could run the 2 1080p monitors off of native hdmi 1.4 and your usb 3.0 to hdmi adaptor (which I own) for the second 1080p, but wondering if the new usb thunderbolt dock would allow the use of your usb-c to hdmi2.0 off the back of it and the two hdmi/vga directly off the dock. I have read about some issues with this dock and my particular laptop. Alternatively I have considered the 3900 dock for the two 1080p and the usbc to hdmi2.0 directly plugged into the thunderbolt.
4k will be for CAD design work and video, 1080p is just for office type work.
Thoughts, recommendations, or concerns?
Thanks.

Hi Roland,

Thanks for posting, and I would be happy to answer your question.

Thanks for the great detail you provided, that helps me a lot. Given your requirements, the most straightforward approach is the last option you proposed with the USBC-HDMI adapter driving the 4K display at 60Hz and the UD-3900 docking station for driving the two 1080P displays.

This combination would allow for the most flexibility, including the option of using the current USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter you have in one of the front USB 3.0 ports of the docking station to potentially drive a fourth external display (system resources permitting).

Let us know if you have any additional questions!

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Thanks Bob, I have managed to get all 4 monitors (including laptop screen) working with the plugable 4k 60Hz hdmi 2.0 running the 4k, one 1080p running of the built in hdmi 1.4, and the second off the plugable usb 3.0 to hdmi adaptor (which gets unstable whenever I go into screen settings, but is ok once I get through that a few times).

The UD-3900 doesn’t seem to add much to the equation. Long term I would really like to go with your new thunderbolt 3 dock and drive the 4k off if its thunderbolt pass through by way of the usb-c to hdmi 2.0 adaptor. Still wondering a) if that is possible, and b) if the dell 5510 stability issues with the dock are resolved.

Thanks, Roland !](https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1446074/home-office_inline.jpg?1467935197)](https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1446074/home-office.jpg?1467935197)

Hi Roland,

Thanks for getting back, and thanks for the great photo. I recommended the UD-3900 primary to have less cables in the equation and for the additional USB ports.

We actually haven’t released our Thunderbolt 3 docks as of yet (our latest info is here -> http://plugable.com/thunderbolt-3), so we don’t have any data with regard to its performance with a Dell Precision 5510.

To your other question, yes, you would be able to drive a single 4K monitor via the DisplayPort output of the Thunderbolt 3 dock and with the addition of our USBC-HDMI adapter connected via the second USB-C port of the dock drive a second 4K display.

Bob