USB-BT4LE not working right with Soundpeats Q12

I bought this adapter to be able to connect my Q12s to my win 7 64bit PC. I get it all connected up but sounds terrible. After reading for hours online I found that under my playback devices I only have “Headphones Bluetooth Hands-Free audio” available which is telephony quality. It does not show stereo headphones. How can I get decent audio out of this setup? I have tried installing newest drivers for plugable, removing and re-pairing headphones. I am at a loss here and pretty ticked off

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us about your Bluetooth adapter. I’m sorry about the troubles with it. Typically both the hands-free and stereo headphones profiles will be available. However, in any application where Windows expects two-way communications, it will automatically select the telephone-quality profile, since only telephone quality is available for two-way communication.

Since you aren’t seeing both the stereo profile, I suspect something has gone wrong with the driver installation.

Could you run our diagnostic program? It will gather device information and installation logs that will help me understand what is happening.

To do this, please plug the adapter into your computer, then go to this page, and follow the instructions there:

http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

When you run the program, it will create a zip file on your desktop with your computer name and the date. For privacy reasons, please send that file directly to our support email address at support@plugable.com.

Please put “For Ticket #235961” in the subject line.

Thanks!

David
Plugable Support

I sent the zip file

Thank you very much for sending the diagnostic file. I examined it and it looks good except for a driver that appears to be left over from a previous Bluetooth adapter. However, I don’t think that is the problem.

In examining the Bluetooth connections recorded by the computer, I’m noticing that the computer has seen a Bluetooth Low Energy (Bluetooth 4.0 or higher) device. Windows 7 can see Bluetooth Low Energy devices when our adapter is installed and can pair with them, but can’t use them because no support for Bluetooth Low Energy is built into Windows 7. We can’t add a driver for it, because the support for that kind of driver isn’t there.

The Soundpeats Q12 are advertised as being Bluetooth 4.2. Usually this doesn’t mean anything with Bluetooth audio devices, since all Bluetooth audio devices still use classic Bluetooth 2.1 for the audio connection, and devices can claim Bluetooth 4.2 support for marketing reasons even when they don’t actually use it.

However, some audio devices use a Bluetooth 4.x side channel to communicate with apps on mobile devices that support Bluetooth 4.x, and it appears that this may be what is happening with your headphones. If so, this confuses Windows 7, because it sees the connection and tries to use it, but discovers it doesn’t have a driver for it. So it gives the error you are seeing.

We have a couple of workarounds that involve changing to driver software that ignores the Bluetooth 4.x side channel. Then, seeing only the classic Bluetooth channel, Windows connects to it, and everything works.

What we will do is remove all the third-party Bluetooth drivers from your system, then install the special drivers. It’s a two-step process. First we’ll remove the drivers we can then run a Windows utility that will identify any we missed. Then we’ll remove any missed ones and install the driver version that we need.

Could you please do the following with the Plugable Bluetooth adapter plugged in?

1. Open Programs and Features

2. Uninstall WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software.

3. Restart the computer.

4. Open an admin command prompt as follows:

a. Click Start, click All Programs, and then click Accessories.
b. Right-click Command prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
c. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.

4a. In the command window that opens, type:

Set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

(then press enter)

4b. In the same window, type:

devmgmt.msc

(then press enter)

1. Device Manager will open. Click “View” then click “Show hidden devices”.

2. Find and double click on Bluetooth Radios to expand the list.

3. Right click on each device under the Bluetooth Radios section, saving “Broadcom BCM20702 Bluetooth 4.0 USB Device” for last. For each one, click “Uninstall,” then in the next window select the box that says “Delete the driver software for this device” if it is available. Finally, do the same for “Broadcom BCM20702 Bluetooth 4.0 USB Device.”

4. After doing this, please open a command prompt (Click Start, click Run, enter cmd at in the box, then click OK).

5. Type in the following command:

pnputil.exe -e > %UserProfile%\Desktop\235961.txt

1. This will create a file on your desktop called 235961.txt. Please send that to me. It will show me the third-party drivers installed on your computer, and I can make sure that there aren’t any that will cause problems with the Plugable.

After sending it, please don’t change anything on your computer until I have a chance to give the next steps.

Thanks!

David
Plugable Support

I’m just checking back to see if you were able to get your Bluetooth adapter working. If not, please let me know. I’m happy to continue helping.

David
Plugable Support

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.