USB-A adapter

My wife just got sent a “new” work laptop. We were expecting it to be an upgrade and to be compatible with USB-C like my laptop and our personal laptop but she got an ancient thinkbook with 65W USB 20V 3.25A charging. I was wondering if there was an adapter that would work here via the laptops USB-A port? Essentially a female USB-C to male USB-A adapter that supports video output from the laptop for the monitors.

We had the Plugable UD-3900 Dual Display USB-3 Universal Docking Station prior to getting this docking station due to the USB-C on my work laptop and our personal macbook air. Any help and guidance would be appreciated.

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us, I am sorry, the UD-3900PDZ USB-C Triple HDMI Display Docking Station requires the host computer to support USB-C with DisplayPort Alternate Mode and USB-C Power Delivery to be fully compatible with the system. These are optional features of the newer USB-C port and are not backwards compatible with the USB-A port.

A USB-A to USB-C adapter with this docking station connected would limit it’s functionality to be similar to the UD-3900 USB 3.0 docking station, the HDMI 1 output on the UD-3900PDZ would be disabled, as would the charging capability and I would recommend connecting the Lenovo’s original power supply when using the docking station.

If you would like to let me know the full model name/number of the Lenovo I can check the specifications and see what docking stations it is compatible with. This can be found by performing the following:

1. Open the Start Menu and search for “msinfo32” and launch the first search result
  2. Please let me know the values from the following entries ( on the right column ):
    a. “System Model”
    b. “System SKU”
    c. (Optional) Please feel free to attach a screenshot of this window to your reply email if you prefer by using the Windows Snipping Tool ( from the Start Menu search for “Snipping” ) and I can get the details from there

If you have no other use for the UD-3900PDZ docking station I can help to start the return process, please send an email to ‘support@plugable.com’ with the subject line ‘Ticket #329929 - Attention Pat’ and in the body of the email please include the Amazon Order ID ( available from Amazon.com/orders ) for the original purchase of the docking station and a note that you would like to start the return process and I can get started on that right away.

I am sorry this docking station is not fully compatible with a computer that only supports USB-A ports and will have limited capabilities on this computer.

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hello,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
support@plugable.com