USB 3900 HDMI to HDMI won't work

I’ve got a Lenovo V 130 with Intel HD graphics 620.

I use two external screens, plugged into the 3900 via:

DVI to DVI and;
DVI to HDMI

I want to add a third external screen using the HDMI port on my laptop ideally via HDMI to HDMI.

However, the HDMI to HDMI link won’t work. If I try the HDMI to HDMI link on the 3900 the screen doesn’t work.

Is it only possible to use the DVI ports on the screens and not the HDMI screens.

What am I missing here? Is there a technical reason the HDMI to HDMI doesn’t work?

Cheers,

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for reaching out to us, I am happy to help!

The HDMI output of the docking station is compatible with DVI, likewise the DVI output is compatible with HDMI, based on your description I doubt the docking station or computer’s HDMI output is faulty but rather it could be a setting in the monitor or a bad HDMI cable.

Could you let me know the manufacturer name(s) and model number(s) of the monitors that are not working with the HDMI to HDMI cable connected to the computer’s HDMI output and the docking station’s HDMI output?

Some monitors may not automatically select the HDMI input when active, or may not do it reliably, I will look up the monitor’s manual and get the instructions for manually selecting the HDMI input to see if this helps.

Additionally, do you have a second HDMI cable to try, just in case the current cable is damaged or defective and causing the display to fail to detect on the system or docking station?

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

don’t worry, I’ve sorted it.

You can only have either the old d-sub to dvi or dvi to hdmi. you can’t use the hdmi port on the screen to connect to either the hub or the laptop.

I’ve now got four screens all working. Three externals and the laptop.

Nice.

thanks for getting back to me anyway.

Cheers,

Nick

Hi Nick,

That’s great, I am glad you are up and working now! I will go ahead and close this thread, please feel free to start another thread, or contact our support team via email if you have any additional questions!

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com