Usb 3.0 - Ethernet not working on 2013 Macbook Air

I am having a problem on a 2013 Macbook Air with OS X Yosemite 10.10.5. I tried looking for the “AX88179_798A” instance under software but could not find it to unload. I downloaded the newest driver, installed, and rebooted, but my computer has yet to recognize the device. Am I missing something?

Hello Alejandro,

More than likely it’s an interface issue. Connect the Ethernet adapter (with the Ethernet cord), and open up “System Information”. Under the “Hardware” tree find “USB” and click on it. There you will see all the devices connected to your internal USB hub. You will also see an AX88179 entry which you will click on. What do you see under “BSD Name”?

Kind regards,
Patric
Plugable Technologies

The BSD name says “en5”

Hi Alejandro,

OK, this means the Ethernet adapter is enumerated and working. The real problem is that the operating system for some odd reason has not added the “en5” interface.

With the Ethernet adapter and cord connected, go to System Preferences > Network, click the + icon and add a USB Ethernet interface and go through the steps. Does this help?

Kind regards,
Patric
Plugable Technologies

I’m starting to think it’s the actual connection that’s the problem. The notification lights occasionally come on and the device connects, but then I can’t access the internet.

Hello Alejandro,

If you are connecting to a school or work network you might have to contact the IT department and register the MAC address from the Ethernet adapter (printed on the bottom) with them.

If this is a home network you might want to try a different Ethernet cord.

Kind regards,
Patric
Plugable Technologies

Hi Alejandro,

Did you eventually figure this problem out?