USB 3.0 Docking station ud-3900 Ethernet port not working

I have had this device for a year and have had no problems. Out of the blue, the Ethernet has been dropping in and out randomly. It only happens for a few seconds, then it comes back. I connected the port straight to my laptop and had no problems at all. I know there is an ethernet driver for the USB 2.0, but not for the 3.0. Any ideas? I am running Windows 8.1

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for posting. I’m sorry the Ethernet on the dock stopped working properly. I’d be happy to help.

The Ethernet port in the dock is a USB 2.0 device, so the USB 2.0 driver is the only one necessary.

Based on your description one of two things may be happening. The Ethernet port on the dock has started to fail, or something within the operating system is causing the problem.

The first step would be to try cleaning the drivers for the dock from your system and installing the latest we recommend. Please follow these steps:

1. Disconnect the dock from the computer and please remove the power cable from the dock so it turns off completely.

2. Uninstall the DisplayLink Core software from Control Panel->Programs. Don’t worry if this fails, just move onto the next step

3. Download and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool, found here:
    http://displaylink.com/techsupport_fi…

4. Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot (even if not prompted to)

5. Now download and run the 7.7 M2 DisplayLink software, found here:
    http://displaylink.com/support/sla.ph…

6. Reboot, even if not prompted to

7. Once you’re back in Windows, reattach the power cable to the dock first. Once the dock is powered on, reconnect it to your PC which will trigger the final portion of the installation

Once re-installed, see if the behavior with the Ethernet port continues. If it does, we would like at a possible hardware replacement. Just send an email to support@plugable.com with ‘Ticket 87240’ in the subject line and we can go from there.

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Thanks for replying Bob.

As it turns out, I started working again with out me having to do any of that. I will keep it in mind the next time it occurs.

Thanks for your help,
Johnny