usb 3.0 docking station slows network connections

128 GB Surface 3: New USB 3.0 Docking Station is slowing my network (Ethernet) connection down to sludge … am getting much faster and more reliable speeds over WiFi.
Ethernet is supposed to be faster and more reliable (needed for local peer to peer MS Access database sharing) but not in this case.
Hulu is giving me 1-2 second bits of videos and connections to databases on other computers on timing out and failing.
Is anyone else having this problem? Any fixes?

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for posting! I’m sorry the Ethernet adapter isn’t working well. I’d be happy to help!

You may have already checked this, but the most common cause of Ethernet issues is faulty cables. Would you happen to have another Ethernet cable to swap in and test with to see if the behavior is any different?

If swapping the cable doesn’t change the behavior, the next step is to make sure the Ethernet driver for the dock is installed properly. To re-install the Ethernet driver the best method is to clean the current DisplayLink driver (which includes the Ethernet component) from your system and re-install the latest version we recommend. Please follow these steps:

1. Disconnect the dock from the Surface and please remove the power cable from the dock so it turns off completely. Please keep it disconnected until the last step.
  2. Uninstall the DisplayLink Core software from the Control Panel -> Programs and Features.
  3. Download and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool, found here –> http://displaylink.com/support/sla.ph…
  4. Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot (even if not prompted to)
  5. Now download and run the 7.7 M4 DisplayLink software, found here –> http://displaylink.com/support/sla.ph…
  6. Reboot, even if not prompted to
  7. Once you’re back in Windows, reattach the power cable to the dock first. Once the dock is powered on, reconnect it to your Surface which will trigger the final portion of the installation

Please let us know if swapping the cables or re-installing the driver helps when you have a moment and we can go from there.

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support