USB 2.0 to GigE adapter support Windows Server 2008 x64

Does the USB 2.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Adapter work on Windows Server 2008 x64 (not R2)? I see that folks are able to use the Windows 7 drivers to get the adapter to work with Server 2008 R2, but we are using Server 2008 x64.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your question. The version of Windows Server you are using–Windows Server 2008 x64–aligns with the Windows Vista driver codebase.

Therefore, our recommendation is to try installing on your server the Windows Vista 64-bit driver for the Plugable Gigabit Ethernet adapter, available at http://www.asix.com.tw/download.php?s….

If it installs correctly, then you can order the adapter with confidence that it will work. But if the install fails, then you will know that this adapter will not work with your server.

Let us know if you have additional questions. We’re here to help.

Sincerely,

Aaron
Plugable Technologies

Hi Aaron,
Thank you for the reply. I downloaded the Vista 64-bit driver, and while I wasn’t able to right-click and install it (I got an error that said the driver didn’t support that kind of installation), I was able to use pnputil on the command line and install it.

We’ll go ahead and order the adapter. Thanks again for the prompt response – seeing how great the Plugable employees are at responding to forum questions is the number one reason we’re getting your USB to Ethernet adapter.

Hi Chris,

Glad to hear that you got it working. And thanks for your kind words.

Please get in touch once you have the adapter in hand if you have any setup troubles. And if it works as expected, if it’s not too much to ask it would be great to get feedback on the steps you took to get it running so that other customers can benefit from your experience.

Looking forward to hearing how things go.

Sincerely,

Aaron

We received the adapter yesterday, and it worked like a champ. I had previously downloaded and installed the Vista 64 bit driver to which Aaron linked in a previous post. To install the driver, I had to use pnputil on the command line, as right-clicking the .inf file and choosing “Install” wouldn’t work. The command I used to install was:

With the driver installed, the adapter was immediately recognized when plugged in, and added to the list of network interfaces. It works great, and I highly recommend it if you have a Windows Server 2008 x64 system.

Thanks so much for letting us know! And thanks for posting the pnputil line for installing from the driver .inf directly – that’s a great help to others. Thanks again!