USB 2.0 Mircoscope setting higher resolution

Hi,

For some reason my Plugable USB 2.0 Digital Microscope is not letting me set the resolution for photos. The only option for resolution it gives me is 640X480. For a project for my college class I need 1600X1200 resolution. I do not understand why it is not showing any other resolution option besides 640X480. It gave me the other resolution options when I used it a few weeks ago.

I quit and reopened the software, I un-pluged and re-pluged the USB cable into the same and different USB port on my laptop and can not get it to work. I do not know what else to do.

The microscope is being used on a Mac laptop.

Please help. This project is due in three days and I need help as soon as possible!

Thanks for getting in touch!

On some Mac systems, the built-in UVC driver keeps the microscope from utilizing higher resolutions. Usually this is capped at 800x600. Did you upgrade your macOS recently?

Thank you for getting back to me Sam,

I have not updated macOS in the last 3 months or so. Would that fix the problem? Also, I un-installed and re-installed the software and that changed nothing. I also got my hands on a friend’s microscope and I still have the same problem.

Just so you know, I’m not very tech savvy so I going to have a hard time understanding some of the tech-speak.

Sorry for the obscure acronyms! UVC is short for USB Video Class. This is the driver class for Webcam devices.

If you aren’t on the latest macOS, it would be best to update. It sounds like you received a driver update that removed some of the capabilities. The latest version of High Sierra should have appropriate full-capability drivers.

Let me know if that helps!

Thank you getting back to me Sam,

Ill try that. Thank you again.

No problem!

If that doesn’t work, send a ticket in at support@plugable.com so I can investigate a little deeper.