USB 2.0 Graphics Adapter - Ubuntu 10.10

Plugable Technologies USB 2.0 Graphics Adapter (up to 2048×1152)
Using Ubuntu 10.10
Which is the correct configuration to make it work?
Which is the correct xorg.conf configuration?

thanks in advance!
Alberto

Hi Alberto - I see on a different forum, you talk about purchasing a different device. We sell exclusively on Amazon and have the Plugable logo on the device, etc. Could you send your Amazon order number for our device to support@plugable.com?

That said, there is support for DisplayLink devices in all recent Linux kernels, but xorg configuration is a pain - really for advanced users only.

We’re working on an Ubuntu 10.10 guide for doing the simple thing: getting X up and running on one or more USB displays (*not* mixing PCI and USB displays – that’s what people expect from Windows, but what doesn’t work well on Linux today).

We hope to have a post on that shortly. The post will talk about our hardware, but should apply to all DisplayLink based devices. We’ll update this thread when we have it.

Best wishes,
Bernie

I’ve not purchase the device on Amazon so I do not have the order number.
As you see this is the product http://www.itek.it:81/index.php/it/pr…

Can you still help me?
What I need is not in particula Ubuntu 10.10 I only need that the OS is a Linux Distro.

Thanks in advance,
Alberto

Hi.

I have a USB-VGA-165 adapter working well in Windows 7, of course there is some glitches but so far I’m happy with the product.

But now I’m thinking on moving my laptop to ubuntu because Windows 7 stalls several times a day and I sick of that.

So, the guide mentioned by Bernie already exists or not yet?

Regards.

Hi Sergio,

Thanks for posting. No, unfortunately, things in X land have not improved enough for us to make a guide (we don’t want to encourage people to expect things that will be ultimately frustrating).

What’s doable with minimal xorg.conf pain is to use a USB screen as your only X server – you’ll find guides for that on the web. But I don’t think that’s what you’re looking for and few people want that (other than people with routers and embedded hardware with no graphics output - they love it and that’s where most of the success stories are for DisplayLink on Linux).

For anything approximating the Windows multi-monitor experience, the picture is still grim.

Sorry for the bad news, but we don’t want to sugar-coat the situation on Linux, since it can be confusingly tempting knowing that a kernel driver is in place and some things (one X server only on USB) work well.

Thanks agian,
Bernie

Thanks for the info :frowning:

Regards.