USB 2.0 Docking Station disables speakers

When my laptop and speakers are plugged into the Docking station, my laptop as well as my externals speakers do not work

Hi Jessie,

Thanks for contacting Plugable Support, we’ll be happy to help. What’s probably happening is that Windows is switching the default audio device to the USB audio device that’s present in the Docking Station. Here’s link to a similar issue that shows what you’ll see if the USB audio device is set as the default.

http://support.plugable.com/plugable/…

You can find this screen by right clicking on the speaker icon in the bottom right corner of your screen and selecting playback devices. If you right click on one of the other (non USB) devices, you’ll be able to choose set as default and change the device that Windows uses to play audio.

I hope this helps! Let me know if there’s anything else I can help with.

Thanks,
Jerome.

Thank you Jerome, that fixed my problem. Why do you think the setting got changed in the first place. The audio was working fine until a few weeks ago.

Hi Jessie,

Glad to hear your audio is working again, thanks for letting me know!

It’s hard to say why windows decided to assign the USB audio device as the default. It should stay set to the internal audio now that you’ve set it manually. If it does change back when you connect or disconnect the Docking Station, let us know and we’ll see if we can find a way to lock it down, since it’s a Windows behavior I’m not exactly sure if we’ll be able to over ride it but we’ll see what we can do.

Thanks,
Jerome.