USB 2.0 10-Port Hub Disconnects All Devises Randomly

Hello,

I purchased the 10-Port hub on Amazon last fall, mostly due to the rave reviews. Recently I have been having several issues with it. I have (2) 3 TB Western Digital drives connected to the hub, as well as a printer and an auxiliary 1TB Western Digital drive that I use to backup my hard drive on. All of this goes to a Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.6. I will frequently receive the message that all of my disks have been disconnected and that I didn’t disconnect them properly. Sometimes several times in the span of a couple minutes. Also, there are sometimes problems restarting the computer and it often times will hang up due to the drives. Not sure if that part is the Hubs fault or not, but the constant disconnecting of the drives is rather annoying.

Thanks,

JT

For anyone interested,

We’re working with JT to determine if he has a hardware failure or possibly a power limit issue.

Jerome.

Plugable Technologies

I’m experiencing a similar problem with a hard drive and a thumb drive connected to this hub.

Hi jamesfalconi,

Thanks for posting here. I’ll be happy to help. Usually when an external hard drive or a thumb drive disconnects from USB it’s caused by insufficient power. To find out if you are having an issue with power, first disconnect every thing from the hub (including the computer) except the AC adapter. The blue light should be illuminated. If it’s not then either the power supply as died or the hub has a problem. Just let us know if that’s the case and we’ll get you a replacement.

If the blue light does turn on when connected only to AC power, next connect the cable to the computer.

Then try either the thumb drive, it should be able to run by itself with out disconnecting.

Next try the external drive. Does it have a power supply, or does it have a double headed USB cable? These are usually necessary for the drive to get enough power. Make sure they are connected and try again.

If you don’t see any improvement, please reply back with the make and model of computer you have as well as the Operating System and version you are using and the make and model of external hard drive and thumb drive you are having troubles with and we’ll figure out next steps.

Thanks
Jerome.

Plugable Technologies