Upgrading from a UD-3900 to UD-3900H for a 3 VGA monitor and laptop setup. Yea or Nay?

I currently have the UD-3900 dock at work and its working great all these years. It connects my 3 monitors to my laptop. I plan on doing the same setup for home but the dock is pretty big and thought that the UD-3900H can do the job. The setup both at work and home is as follows…
3 Dell D2015H monitors (vga ports only), each vga cable is connected to…
1 Plugable vga to DVI adapter, which is then connected to…
1 Plugable UGA-165 USB 2.0 to DVI adapter that then connects to the dock. At work its the UD-3900 and currently at home its just a 7 port hub that is connected to my Samsung laptop.
So, considering the UD-3900H has a DVI port and 2 USB 3.0 ports I believe it would work with my setup, or connect the adapters to the other 4 2.0 usb ports. But I am unsure if it would work.

So I ask yea or nay? Can the UD-3900H work for my situation, or should I just get the bigger size US3900?

Attached: setup diagram

Hello David,

Thank you for reaching out to Plugable support.
I want to thank you for that very detailed diagram you put together, It definitely helped me narrow your options down a bit better.
I think switching to the UD-3900H from the UD-3900 would be a great solution to save space. The main thing that you’ll be missing out on is the integrated audio ports on the UD-3900. Other than that functionality will be the same.

So, in summary, with the UD-3900H, you can connect one of your DVI monitors directly to the DVI port on the UD-3900H dock. Then, with 6 USB ports available (two USB 3.0, four USB 2.0), you can connect two additional UGA-165 adapters for the other two monitors, keyboard, mouse, Seagate HDD, and 1TB external HDD. This would use all USB ports on the dock.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us here at Plugable!

Thanks,

Omar D.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Thank you for the confirmation.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.