Unreadable drive

I have a sn550 1tb inside this usbc nvme enclosure.
It was working fine for a while as a time machine/backup drive for a 16inch MBP but all of a sudden (I suspect after the OSX 10.15.5 update) the drive became unreadable.
I tried reformatting the drive but the machine would throw an error saying it’s not able to open the device.

I tried it with a windows machine as well but experienced something similar where the drive isn’t properly recognized.

I thought it was an issue with the drive so I ordered a replacement drive but the same thing happened with said drive so I’m inclined to conclude that the enclosure is either somehow broken or is frying my drives (some people are reporting damaged drives on Amazon).

I have a different enclosure on order so I can test my theory but in the mean time, does anyone have thoughts on either what’s causing the issue or ways of debugging this issue?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us, I am sorry this is not working as expected and I am happy to help!

While drive enclosure failures are very rare, it is possible this enclosure is no longer properly recognizing the installed SSD. Our first step is to get some additional details from the computer to see exactly how the drive is being detected by the system.

If it is possible to use the Windows based computer for this, it will provide more useful details than the MacBook Pro. If you would, please install one of the SSDs into the enclosure and connect the enclosure to the Windows computer, then attach the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug ( http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug ) to an email to our support team at ‘support@plugable.com’ with the subject line ‘Ticket #309232 - Attn Pat’ to make sure it gets to me, this will allow us to examine some log files from your system to help determine the next steps.

Thank you, and I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Pat
Plugable Technology

Hello,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
support@plugable.com