Unknown USB device (Port Reset Failed)

Hello, I cannot control volume levels when I connect docking station UD-6950Z through USB-A.
My laptop is a Lenovo Yoga 14 and does not have a USB-C port.
My investigation led to the fact that in the device manager under USB controllers, there is an item with the name: “Unknown USB device (Port Reset Failed)”.
If I update the driver, or uninstall it and scan for hardware again, windows cannot find the correct driver.

I have also downloaded latest the Plugable drivers (DisplayLink Software 9.4 M0), but when I run the file to install the driver, it says I have the latest driver available.

I have a mouse, a keyboard and 2 monitors connected through HDMI and an audio headset on the front.

Hi Siavash,

Thank you for posting! I am sorry things are not working fully as expected while using your Plugable UD-6590Z docking station and I would be happy to help.

Thank you as well for the detail you provided that is much appreciated. Based on your description, I am not quite sure if the ‘Unknown USB Device’ you mention is related to the audio behavior. As a result, our next step is to get some additional information and in order to do so we need to provide a little background information.

When the UD-6950Z dock is connected to your system, you should see an audio output device within the Windows ‘Sound’ settings called ‘Plugable Audio’.

The ‘Plugable Audio’ device represents the audio output jack located on the front of the dock, where you mention that your audio headset is connected.

It is important that the ‘Plugable Audio’ device be selected as the default audio output device and that the volume is adjusted properly in order to hear audio via the headset connected to the dock.

There is a good guide to how to select the default audio output device and change the volume level here → https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/102323-change-default-audio-playback-device-windows-10-a.html#option2

If you use those instructions as a guide, are you able to make the ‘Plugable Audio’ device the default and make adjustments to the volume level?

If you are not able to do so via that method, may I ask you to please post a screenshot (http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/) of your ‘Sound’ settings application, similar to my attached example? That will help us to determine the next steps.

Apologies again for the frustration, and thank you for giving us the chance to help!

Bob
Plugable Technologies

Thank you Bob, option 3 in the “tenforums” guide worked for my audio issue.
But the “Unknown USB device (Port Reset Failed)” item is still there in the device manager.
And I am sure it is related to the docking station since when I disconnect it, it goes away.

Hi Siavash,

Thank you for getting back to us with the update, and I am glad to hear we are making progress.

In regard to the ‘Unknown USB Device’ you mention, I have a few quick additional questions for you:

A. You mention that you have a USB mouse, a USB keyboard, two displays connected to the HDMI video outputs of the dock, and the audio headset connected to the front-mounted audio jack. Now that the original audio issue has been resolved, can you please confirm that all of the devices connected to the dock are working properly?

B. In an effort to isolate the behavior further, may I ask you to please:

1. Disconnect all USB devices from the dock and put them aside for the moment.
  2. Disconnect both of the displays connected to the dock’s two HDMI video outputs.
  3. Disconnect the audio headset connected to the dock’s front-mounted audio ports.
  4. Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the dock’s Ethernet port (if one is present).
  5. The only remaining connections should be the dock’s power adapter cable, and the USB 3.0 cable used to connect the dock to your Lenovo laptop. No other devices should be connected to the dock.
  6. While connected in this manner, reboot the laptop and check Device Manager to see if there are any ‘Unknown USB Devices’ present.

Apologies in advance if the request appears in any way redundant, however the intent is to determine if a device connected to the dock (and not the dock itself) is the source of the ‘Unknown USB Device’ you mention.

Thank you for your patience!

Bob
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.