Unable to connect to additional Thunderbolt device using 2nd thunderbolt port on TBT3-UDV

Hi. I have my TBT3-UDV connected via thunderbolt cable to my host M1 MBP. I’d like to use the second thunderbolt port to connect to a thunderbolt audio interface, but it is not recognizing this device. The device is a Thunderbolt 2 device that is connected via Thunderbolt 2 cable and a Thunderbolt 2->3 adapter. This method works fine to connect directly to the computer, but is not detected when going though the TBT3-UDV.

Hi David,

Thank you for contacting Plugable! I’m sorry your Thunderbolt audio interface isn’t working as expected when connecting it to TBT3-UDV through a Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter, and I’ll be happy to assist.

Thanks for also confirming the audio interface works as expected when connecting it directly to your Mac through the Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter.

Can you please provide the brand and model number of the Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter you’re using? Alternatively, could you share a link to it online?

The reason I ask is because some of these Thunderbolt adapters are active and can work in most scenarios, but some are passive may require a direct connection to the Mac to detect that this adapter is in use, and internally change the signal from Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 so it’s usable by Thunderbolt 2 peripherals.

If the adapter is passive, it’s possible that the presence of the TBT3-UDV between the MacBook and the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter would interfere with the adapter working correctly.

Another great step to take is to test if the second Thunderbolt 3 port on the dock is working as expected with other Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C peripherals. This should help determine if this could possibly be caused by a faulty port on the dock. Are you able to try a test like this?

My apologies for the frustration, and thank you for giving us the chance to help.

Sam
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.