UGA-2K-A resolution and other issues

Hi, I am using the UGA-2K-A w/ Dell Laptop Latitude E4310 and Windows 7 32-bit. This laptop has a intel graphics hd adapter. I am using a dual monitor setup where I have one monitor connected to the built-in vga port and the other monitor connected to the UGA-2K-A. Both monitors are identical Dell U2410’s. I am seeing the screen on both monitors however I am not sure if it is the right way

1. My first problem is that the intel graphics display manager fails to detect the 2nd monitor. Is this normal?

2. I am using extended desktop mode in Windows display properties however the resolution is per screen. It is not for the entire desktop even though I am in extend desktop mode. Is this normal?

3. I would like to have a resolution of 2048 x 768 however I cannot see that in the individual display properties of the monitor. The max I see is 1920 x 1200? How can I get this resolution and will it apply to the entire desktop as opposed to each individual display/monitor.

4. Is there a way to renumber the monitors?

5. When I open/close my laptop lid with both monitors connected after the lid closes my display reverts to single monitor which is the one connected directly to my laptop’s vga port. Is there any way to set it such that if it detects 2 monitors it automatically works in extended desktop mode.

6. I see the icon for the Display link Manager in the taskbar but clicking on the Display link manager or the advanced properties just brings up Windows Display properties. Is this normal.

7. Is there a way to make the taskbar stretch via the display link manager and if so how can I get to it

8. The Dell E4310 has one regular USB 2.0 port and the other is a eSATA port that can also be used as a USB port. When I connect to the eSATA port the UGA-2K-A does not work however when I connect it to the regular USB 2.0 port it works. The problem I have is the cables I have are only just long enough and it would be much better to connect the UGA to the eSATA port if possible. Is this possible?

Pls help. thx

Hi Vik,

Thanks for posting! Wow … that’s a lot of questions. Before tackling each one, the meta-answer is that USB graphics device are nice in that they act like their own independent graphics controller - so you aren’t fixed with one large desktop, rather you can rearrange everything. That can and must be done from Windows’ built-in display control panel (on Windows 7 go to the “Screen Resolution” control panel)

!](https://s3.amazonaws.com/satisfaction-production/s3_images/565736/win7-screen-resolution-3-monitors_inline.PNG)](https://s3.amazonaws.com/satisfaction-production/s3_images/565736/win7-screen-resolution-3-monitors.PNG)

Try clicking “identify” to see what monitors match with what numbers on the panel, and drag the icons around and apply to re-arrange).

All of these behaviors are defined by Windows. In terms of how to configure them, the USB graphics adapters do everything the “Windows way” in Win 7.

So a great resources is Microsoft’s own help on multiple monitors - check a few of these out:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wi…

And also DisplayLink’s own manual:
http://displaylinkmanuals.s3.amazonaw…

I’d recommend checking out those materials and playing around a bit to get the hang of things.

Then just come back with any questions on anything that isn’t clear – we’ll be glad to help.

Thanks!
Bernie

Hi Bernie,

Thx for the response. I have browsed through those links and others and it doesn’t seem to answer all the questions I had absolutely hence I am still unsure. Would really appreciate it if you could help. I have a dual monitor setup already on one of my other desktop machines running XP however I was using an application that came with the graphics card that allowed me to use the monitors in horizontal stretch mode which means that it is one large desktop. It seems like this is not possible using the usb graphics card but more so because this may be a windows 7 limitation by itself. If so than there are 3d party applications that can provide the behaviour I am looking for so would you recommend that I use those apps? The thing that confused me was that the info on the usb card says that it can support resolutions of 2048 x 768 etc so I automatically assumed that this would provide it across both screens since I think using that resolution on one monitor would not be optimal.

Can you please help with the questions I asked before and if that is a lot than please do help with # 5 regarding the opening/closing of the lid and # 8 regarding usb & eSATA specifically. Thx

Hi Vik,

Thanks. Windows 7’s multi-monitor functionality is a superset of XP’s. A quick thing is to play with the “Windows-P” key combination on Windows 7. It pops up a graphical menu with the 4 basic configuration choices, including “extend” which is what you’re describing on XP.

Everything you’re seeing is normal, as designed in Windows 7.

On #5, yes - both monitors can work. Just try hitting Windows-P again and extend again once you’ve closed the lid. Windows 7 treats each different configuration of monitors separately (meaning, when the laptop screen goes away, it switches to a default configuration for the two remaining monitors). But then once you change the setting, it will remember it.

On #8 - we don’t recommend using eSATA ports for USB connections, because of the potential for the problems you describe. The USB-IF (the USB standards’ body) has not formally approved it. A good alternative is a USB extension cable. We sell a very long one (10 meter) http://plugable.com/products/usb2-10m/ but in your case an even less expensive short extension is all your need.

Thanks!
Bernie