UGA-2K-A at 1920x1080 over HDMI - at this higher resolution the screen is blinking intermittently

At lower resolutions it doesn’t blink as much. Connected to a 32" Samsung LCD

Hi Blake,

Thanks for posting! I sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing while connecting the Samsung monitor through the UGA-2K-A at 1920 x 1080 resolution.Let me try to help.

Could you post back with the following information -:

1. What is the model number of the Samsung monitor?

2. What is the make and model (or specs) of your computer system and the current version of OS used?

3. Do you see this blinking only on specific application(s)? If yes, could you specify which one(s)?

4. At what resolution do you see absolutely no blinking on the screen?

5. When you connect over VGA, do you see the same issue?

Once you post back with this info, we can figure out the next steps.

Regards,
Roze

Here are my answers:

1. Samsung UN32C5000QF
  2. Dell Vostro Quad Core / Windows 7 64bit ; ATI Radeon HD 5700 video card ; Core i7 processor at 2/.8Ghz
  3. blinking on all applications ; even blinking if mouse is moving across screen
  4. 1280x720 appears to be the highest resolution (with the right aspect ratio) that will work without blinking (or maybe just one blink every 10+ minutes if any)
  5. Haven’t tried to connect over VGA. Don’t I lose resolution if I do that? Can I retain/achieve 1080p over VGA?

Hi Blake,

Thanks for posting back with the info!

Could you try connecting through VGA and let us know if you see the blinking on screen? UGA-2K-A supports Analog VGA connections up to 1920×1200. So 1920x1080 should not be a problem.

Regards,
Roze

It appears as though the VGA connection is working flawlessly…and it loves the 1080 connection. Any particular reason why the HDMI connection was not stable at high res?

Hi Blake,

Thanks for the info! Given everything, we’d recommend sticking with VGA. The Plugable UGA-2K-A supports Analog VGA connections up to 1920×1200 and digital DVI/VGA connections up to 2048×1152 on standard (non-TV) monitors.

We have another product, the Plugable USB2-HDMI-165 specifically for connecting to a TV through HDMI. But if you do not have any issues with VGA, I would recommend sticking with the Plugable UGA-2K-A. It is a fantastic product that uses the top-of-the-line DisplayLink DL-195 chip.

On TVs the VGA displays for this product are usually perfect.There should be no practical downsides - are you seeing any?

Here’s some background on why:

Samsung UN32C5000QF is a TV. The way TV or monitors with TV tuners(they work almost the same way as a TV) work is different from standard monitors. Most TVs are better equipped to render display from a Computer through the VGA ports. When you are connected by vga, the TV acts like a monitor and displays the resolution that you send to it.When you use HDMI, the TV thinks the signal is coming from a TV or a DVD player. Since the two work differently, the TV is unable at times to render the display properly.

If you require any additional information or help regarding any of our products, feel free to post it here or shoot us an email at support@plugable.com. We are here to help!

Regards,
Roze

Thanks so much! Your explanation above makes sense now and educates me on the difference between VGA/HDMI and how it is being handled. Love the quality and plug-and-play functionality.