UD-ULTCDL 4k port nor working

I have an HP Pavilion Convertible X360-15-br077nr. It has the following specs (1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-CTM (Data up to 5 GB/s, Power Delivery, DP1.2, HP Sleep and Charge); 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Data Transfer Only); 1 HDMI; 1 headphone/microphone combo). We purchased a Plugable Triple Display USB-C docking station (UD-ULTCDL) . We are having problems getting the 4k port to display on a monitor. Is it possible for this port/pc combo to display on dual non-4k monitors thru the HDMI & 4K ports or do we need to use the DVI with a converter? Thanks John M.

HI John,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us! I am sorry to hear that you are running into this issue, but I would be more than happy to assist.

We have had a number of customers with similar models to your own, as well as verified testing inside of our labs here that show some versions of the 15" X360 do not function with the 4K HDMI port, while others do. If you connect only a single display to the 4K HDMI port, does it function properly, or does the issue only occur when a display is connected to the 2K HDMI port at the same time?

Thank you for your patience,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support

We verified both monitors were working by attaching each of them to the 2K HDMI port first. Next, we tried to connect one monitor to the 4K HDMI port, and it does not work. We did get our dual monitors to work by using the Plugable 2K HDMI port and the laptop’s HDMI port. From your response, I take it our particular version of the HP X360 15-br077nr does not provide the Displaylink protocol thru the USB-C connection.

Thanks,
John M.

Hi John,

Thank you so much for sending this information over! I appreciate you double checking everything to isolate the problem down to the 4K HDMI port only.

The issue is not related to DisplayLink, and instead is related to your systems ability to output to an external display via VESA Alt-Mode (the port that you have listed showing it has: Data up to 5 GB/s, Power Delivery, DP1.2, HP Sleep and Charge) is supposed to be able to output at DP1.2, but it does not show if these can work simultaneously, which is required by our docking station.

I am concerned that we may need to review the specifications of the displays just in case. Would it be possible to obtain the model number for the displays you have not been able to output to via the 4K HDMI port?

Thank you for your patience,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support

Marc,
The monitors are:
2 - ViewSonic VA2446MH-LED 24" 1080p LED Monitor HDMI, VGA.

If we can’t, output thru the 4K HDMI to our monitors, can we output thru the DVI port and get our dual monitor setup to work. What type of DVI cable would I need, DVI-D or DVI-I?

Thanks,
John M.

Hi John,

Thank you so much for sending this information over! These displays should be compatible with all ports on the docking station, so the problem is inherently related to the abilities of your system to support VESA Alt-Mode, Power Delivery, and Data via the same connection.

It is possible to utilize the DVI and 2K HDMI port on the dock at the same time, and you should not run into any issues doing so while utilizing these displays. Your displays have both HDMI and VGA output ports, so it would be possible to utilize a VGA cable and the included DVI to VGA adapter that came with the dock, or utilize a HDMI to DVI cable (our DisplayLink docks do not support DVI-D, only DVI-I).

I hope this information helps, please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you for your time,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Everyone,

We hope we were able to answer all of the questions John had, as well as help resolve any issues he was experiencing. If John has any other additional questions or concerns, or anyone else has similar questions, please feel free to reach out to us directly at support@plugable.com, and we would be more than happy to assist.

Thank you for your time,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support