UD-ULTC4K not supporting more than 1 monitor

I have a Viotek 34" curved ultrawide and a LG 29Wn900 connected to my 14 inch Apple macbook pro M2. I have connected an HDMI or DP to Display 1 port from either monitor to my dock and it works great. However, there is no combination of HDMI or DP that will work with the other monitor connected. I have validated that the DP when connected to either monitor is using DP 1.2. I am using Adoreen DP cables and high quality HDMI cables as well. I know that at times, HDMI and DP don’t play well together and so, I have also tried both HDMI connections to Diplay ports 1 and 2 as well as HDMI to both ports. The second display will flicker on, as though it see’s the display but then will immediately go into sleep mode and not come back. I have tried to do a discover monitors as well in the settings and nothing happens.
I am running 14.1.1 OS on my Mac. The Help would be appreciated.

Hi Charles,

Thanks for reaching out to Plugable support! I’d be happy to help with that.

I did wish to get a bit of clarification based on the information that you’ve sent us.

Specifically, are you only able to connect a display to the Display 1 as labeled on the back of the docking station?

It is important to make this distinction as the Display 1 connection as labeled on the back of the docking station is governed by a different display. technology than the display two and three connections on the back of the docking station. Knowing the details of this information will help us target what could be potentially happening.

Thank you for giving us a chance to help.

Richard A
Plugable Technologies
https://plugable.com/support

I am able to successfully connect a display to the “Display 1” port and it does successfully work.

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the update.

When you have a moment, it would be very helpful if you could click the DisplayLink Manager icon from the top menu bar and send us a screenshot of that window.

If you have not already installed and set up the DisplayLink Manager, you will want to do so in order for the display 2 and 3. connections to work. Please let us know if you need any further assistance in installing and setting up the DisplayLink Manager.

Thank you for giving us a chance to help.

Richard A
Plugable Technologies

I have a privacy concern with that app getting installed as it requires the ability to record my screen. Being as this is a corporate laptop, requiring the app to be installed for the D2 and D3 screens to work seems concerning…

How can I use the doc without installing software?

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the update.

We definitely understand the concerns about installing the drivers. However, unfortunately with this particular docking station, those drivers are required in order to utilize the display 2 and 3 connections.

With this particular laptop, there are two configurations when it comes to the processor that is available and depending on which one this particular laptop utilizes, will determine whether you are able to connect up to 3 displays without the need of installing a driver.

Essentially, the M2 Pro processor version of this laptop will allow for two natively connected displays that do not require drivers. If this laptop utilizes the M2 Max processor that should allow for three natively connected displays.

I did wish to note that regardless of which processor you’re using, this particular docking station will not fully function without the installation and setup of the DisplayLink drivers. I mentioned this because if you do have concerns about installing these drivers, I would recommend returning this docking station if you are still within the 30 day return window. Once we know which processor this computer is using, I would be happy to recommend the best possible substitute for your needs.

We appreciate your patience in this and thank you for giving us a chance to help.

Richard A
Plugable Technologies

I truly appreciate your assistance with this! I will take the appropriate action. All the best!

Could you please describe when and for what purpose the screen recording requirement is there for? When is that leveraged, what is stored, etc.

Hi Charles,

We definitely understand your concern when it comes to the screen recording from this application. We do address this concern in our instructions for installation and setup of the DisplayLink Manager.

Basically, the DisplayLink Manager application does not, in fact, record or store any information. This permission must be granted in order for the DisplayLink application to access the information it needs in order to generate the image shown on the DisplayLink connected display.

I hope this information helps you to understand how the DisplayLink Manager functions when it comes to screen recording.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Richard A
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.