UD-ULTC4K Issues with Macbook Pro 16 Inch

Using this with a Macbook Pro 16inch with the thunderbolt cable from Apple.

Setup

• 3 Monitors Connects

• Each Monitor is running 2K resolution

• Mac Big Sur 11.1

• Display link 1.2 driver does not work

• Display link 5.2.5 works

• On Some occasions when connecting the Dock to the laptop it boots and in few occasions it does not. Behavior is not consistent

• The Laptop when boots with HDMI display powering on.

• The Dual Display ports will mostly not boot. I’d need to yank the Thunderbolt cable for display port to turn on.This will turn off HDMI. Then i need to yank HDMI to ensure all 3 display are turned on.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

Unfortunately DisplayLink 5.2.5 is not reliable on macOS Big Sur. We recommend to uninstall 5.2.5 and try reinstalling DisplayLink Manager 1.2 and carefully following these instructions (otherwise it cannot work correctly): https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/1932214-displaylink-manager-app-for-macos-introduction-in Once 1.2 is installed, we’d expect things to work well without issue.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

Hello Joshua,

Thanks for the reply.

I did try this the behavior is more weird. When 1.2 is active. During the boot sequence the HDMI monitor comes up.

To bring up the display port, i need to yank the Thunderbolt 3 cable. Post which the displayports starts but then the OS locks every one min.

I have tried 3 docks, TOTU/Startech. The Pluggable dock is by far the best. There are few bugs here and there though

Thanks for the information. Strange behavior to be sure, it sounds like after booting the DisplayLink USB graphics aren’t able to start automatically until the dock is disconnected and reconnected and thus forcing a re-detect of the hardware.

Would it be possible to collect some diagnostics from your system when the dock is in the bad state with the DP ports not working?

We have a troubleshooting tool that helps us find out what is going on in situations like this. Please plug the device into your computer, then go to this page and follow the instructions there:

http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

Mention ticket # 327866 when emailing us the results. This will let me see what might be occurring when the outputs aren’t working.

Thanks!
Josh

Thanks for the prompt reply. Logs sent. Awaiting your response.

1 Like

Thank you! File received, I’ll take a look and report back with any suggestions.

Best,
Josh

Hello!

I apologize for my delayed reply over the long holiday weekend. I’ve had a chance to look at the various diagnostics that you’ve sent over and am seeing some interesting behavior. In one instance the DisplayLink drivers appear to be loaded correctly and the hardware is detected as expected, but the displays aren’t detected (and from what I can see, they definitely should be). Another instance the dock isn’t detected correctly at all. Given this intermittent detection of the hardware, and that the hardware isn’t always working correctly when it is detected, I suspect there may be something wrong with the dock itself.

I’ll reach out to you via email directly and we can arrange to send a pretested replacement and see if that helps. We can at least rule out the hardware this way.

Best,
Josh

Replied to you directly. Thanks much. A pretested dock

Would be great.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.