UD-ULTC4K and Dell Latitude 5400

I currently have Two Dell 27" monitors connected to a Plugable UD-ULTC4K dock. From docking station running (2) DisplayPort cables with standard DP port at dock end, and mini DP to monitor.

Connecting my MacBook Pro M1 (late 2020) works like a champ. Connect USB-C connector that delivers 60W to MacBook and runs both monitors

When I try to connect my work laptop (Dell Latitude 5400) to UD-ULTC4K via USB-C, external displays don’t come up. Any ideas? Do I need to run external power to Dell Latitude 5400?

Hello Jason,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

1. For your Dell, have you installed the required DisplayLink drivers for the dock? This will be needed before the two DisplayPorts, Ethernet, and audio are able to function. Windows systems sometimes do this automatically via Windows Update, but for a corporate system that may not be happening and it may need to be done manually. You may also need to get IT approval / admin rights to manually install the drivers.

https://plugable.s3.amazonaws.com/bin/DisplayLink/DisplayLink+USB+Graphics+Software+for+Windows10.1+M2-EXE.exe

1. The “HDMI 4K” port on the dock requires the computer to support USB-C DisplayPort Alternate Mode video output functionality (“DP Alt Mode” for short), this is optional per the USB-C spec and not all systems support it.

Looking at the specs for the Latitude 5400, it should be supported: “USB Type C™ 3.1 Gen 2 with Power Delivery & DisplayPort (Optional Thunderbolt™ 3)”

1. The aforementioned HDMI 4K port will also require you to use the provided USB-C to USB-C cable. If using a third party C cable, it may not be able to properly support the dock as not all C cables are created equally. So be sure to use the same cable that’s already working with the Mac.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry
Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.