UD-PRO8 with a KVM mouse

I have been using a Dell Venue 8 Pro and a MS Surface with my UD-PRO8 for years. It has been working just fine with my MonoPrice KVM switch.

I had an issue where the Dell Bluetooth keyboard, that was made for the Venue 8, stopped working and causing BSOD. I could not fix the issue in Windows 8.1 so I wiped the Venue 8 and did a fresh install of Windows 10. Everything works now except for the mouse that is connected to the KVM switch. It works for approximately 20 seconds after boot and then stops working. Only the mouse stops working. The keyboard that is connected to the KVM continues to work. Both the keyboard and mouse are basic USB devices.

When the mouse stops working, it still shows in the Device Manager. I have plugged that mouse into one of the USB ports on the dock and it never stops working. I have tried a different mouse on the KVM and it stops working too.

I have gone through the Device Manager and unticked power saving for all devices but that did not help.

What could be causing this?

I uninstalled DisplayLink 9.2 M2 and rebooted. So far, the mouse is still working.

It seems the DisplayLink drivers that Windows 10 automatically installs (8.2.1952.0) work but installing DisplayLink via their exe file breaks something.

1 Like

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

This is an extremely odd problem! We wouldn’t expect DisplayLink to break external USB mouse support in any way. Since rolling back to the older works that might be “the fix”, however, I’m weary that any future Windows 10 updates may break this (as Windows Update will eventually push newer drivers by default).

Can you tell if it’s any/all mice such as Bluetooth if you have one available? I’d like to narrow down if it’s actually a USB enumeration/communication problem or if this is a “Windows problem” where the mouse is getting disabled.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer
Plugable Technologies

http://plugable.com | http://performance.plugable.com/

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.