• Lenovo T480
  • Windows 10 Enterprise 19041.804
  • UD6950Z
  • Two: Lenovo Q24h-10 23.8-inch QHD
  • HDMI cable
  • Cloud Nine C989M natural keyboard
  • Logitech M-0007 wired mouse
  • Plantronics USB headset

I have both monitors plugged into the HDMI port of the plugable device. My keyboard, mouse, and headset also plugged into the plugable device. I’m experiencing random disconnection of my monitors, keyboard, and mouse. My keyboard or mouse would all of sudden stop responding but the monitor remains powered on.

The plugable device itself is plugged into my laptop’s Thunderbolt port.

Reading some of the suggestions here, I tried swapping the cable from the Thunderbolt connection to the USB port of my laptop. This is where i’m at right now and still testing. So far, I have not (yet) experienced the disconnections I described above.

Will update this thread if anything comes up.

For now, I have the following questions:

• Am I using the wrong type of plugable device?
  • Should I use a Thunderbolt plugable device itself and then hook up my peripherals (kb, mouse, monitors, headset) to that plugable device?

So i’ve been working actively on the laptop for the past hour since I opened this thread and so far so good.

I’ll continue monitoring the connection to my monitors and will update here.

Hello,

Thank you for posting and sharing the details of your setup while using the Plugable UD-6950 docking station.

Thank you as well for the follow-up post letting us that know that after having switched to using the USB 3.0 Type-A cable we included in the box with the dock (as opposed to the USB Type-C cable) that things are working as expected.

Should the behavior change while using the USB-A cable to connect the dock to your Lenovo laptop, please reach out to us directly via support@plugable.com with the Amazon Order ID number for your UD-6950 purchase and the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug → https://plugable.com/pages/plugdebug

Please also reference ticket #- 337504 within your direct email, this will allow us to match things up and help us to determine the next steps.

** Please do NOT post either your Amazon Order ID number or the PlugDebug file here in our public forum **

In response to your original questions:

Q1. Am I using the wrong type of plugable device?

A1. There are of course many different product options available that each meet different needs, however speaking in general we do not believe that the UD-6950Z is the ‘wrong type’ of device for your system.

Q2. Should I use a Thunderbolt plugable device itself and then hook up my peripherals (kb, mouse, monitors, headset) to that plugable device?

A2. If the UD-6950Z continues to work as expected and meet your needs, then there is no need to use a product based on Thunderbolt technology.

Thank you for giving us the chance to help!

Bob
Plugable Technologies

Thanks for the response, Bob.

Looks like i’m good to go. My peripherals never lost connection after I switched the cable to the USB Type A.

Thank you getting back to us with the update, and you are of course most welcome for the help.

I am glad to hear that everything continues to work as expected while using the USB-A cable.

Thank you for patience throughout the process, and please have a good day!

Bob

I spoke too soon…

I’m still experiencing random hangs.

When it happens, typically the 2 monitors will stay on with whatever the last displayed browser/program I happen to be showing on the monitors.

I unplug the USB cable, and plug in back in but no joy.

I power off the plugable and power it back on then everything is back to normal…until it hangs again.

I’ve been working today for a full 10-11 hrs without issues until this happened.

Is it possible that the plugable is running too hot? I have a temp gauge on top of my desk and todays relative humidity in my office and temp was between 68-71 degrees at 45-50% humidity.

Hello,

Thank you for getting back to us with the update, and I am sorry to hear about the regression in behavior.

While I cannot be sure based on the description alone, at this time I do not believe that the temperature is a contributing factor to the behavior.

Based on your most recent description of the behavior, the next step as we alluded to previously is to get some additional information.

Please reach out to us directly via support@plugable.com with the Amazon Order ID number for your UD-6950Z purchase and the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug → https://plugable.com/pages/plugdebug

** It would be ideal to run PlugDebug just after the problem has occurred again (even if the dock is not working as expected) in order to capture the current state of the system. **

Please also reference ticket #- 337504 within your direct email, which will allow us to match things up and help us to determine the next steps.

** Please do NOT post either your Amazon Order ID number or the PlugDebug file here in our public forum **

Apologies once again for the frustration, and thank you as always for the chance to help!

Bob
Plugable Technologies

Thanks for the update Bob.

I just lost connection to my 2 monitors again just now (04/08/2021 3:10PM Central).

I downloaded and installed the debug log program and running as I write this. I will upload the log when finished.

I sent an email with all required info to the case/ticket number you referenced.

thank you in advance.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.