UD-5900: USB mouse is jittery, USB audio breaks up

I’m using a Plugable UD-5900 with a Lenovo Yoga 900 laptop. I would like to plug all accessories into the docking station. Unfortunately, when I do, my Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000 has extremely jittery movement on-screen, and the audio from my Logitech Wireless Headset H800 is constantly breaking up. These issues occur when one or both devices are plugged into the docking station, and it does not seem to matter which USB port I plug them into. Both devices work fine (no jitter, smooth audio) when plugged directly into the laptop.

What am I doing wrong? Keyboard/mouse and USB audio devices seem like top priorities that should just work.

The only other device plugged into the docking station is a Dell P2415Q 4K monitor (via the HDMI port).

Hi Bob,

Thanks for contacting us, I am sorry the wireless devices are not working as expected.

Unfortunately USB 3.0 generates significant interference in the 2.4GHz band which is where most wireless devices operate. When connected directly to the system ( even if on a USB 3.0 port ) the wireless devices are using USB 2.0 connections and frequencies which are not producing the same levels of broadband interference as a USB 3.0 device.

If you have a short USB 2.0 extension cable you can physically move the USB mouse and headphone dongles away from the docking station and notebook to minimize the interference and improve the signal.

Please let me know if you have a short cable to test this with.

Pat
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

I tried connecting the keyboard/mouse and headset receivers to the docking station using a Belkin 4-port Ultra Mini Hub, a tiny thing with a very short cable on it – maybe 6". However, even that short distance was enough to resolve the mouse and audio problems.

Thanks for the tip! Seems like this interference issue should be included prominently in the Quick Start guide or documentation for any USB 3.0 docking station.

Hi Bob,

We are glad we could help resolve this issue and are now closing this thread.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help!

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support