UD-5900 - No Audio Via HDMI

I’ve just gotten a new laptop and monitor; we’ve had the monitor a few days, and hooked up to the old PC via HDMI, and the sound came out perfectly.

Today, I’ve hooked up the new laptop to the UD-5900, and the monitor, and so far, everything’s working well, with the exception of HDMI audio.

When I select the “Plugable” device, and test, I get no sound output via the HDMI monitor. I do get great audio when I plug a headset into the UD-5900 audio port, but that somewhat defeats the purpose of an HDMI monitor with speakers.

As of right now, I have sound coming from the laptop, but I’d like to resolve the HDMI issue.

Monitor: Philips BDM4350UC
Laptop OS: Windows 10 Professional

I’ve installed the drivers per the instructions that came with the UD-5900; I’m typing this on the new setup, so the video and bluetooth are just fine.

Help?

Hi Bennett,

Thanks for contacting us. I’m sorry the audio output via the HDMI port isn’t working as expected and I would be happy to help.

Thanks for the great detail you provided and the testing you have already done, that helps me a lot. It sounds (no pun intended) like the dock may be faulty in which case we will of course send a replacement, but it is really rare for the front audio output to work while the HDMI audio output does not. In an effort to prevent said replacement from behaving in the same manner, there is one thing to double-check.

I know you tested the display with an older PC connected directly via HDMI, but looking at the specs of your display it appears to not only have multiple inputs but also the ability to display video from multiple sources simultaneously using the Picture Beside Picture (PBP) mode. Philips’s website does not seem to have a manual available for this display (nor did Google seem to turn one up) but I can ask you check the settings via the onscreen menus to determine if by chance the audio source is configured to come from a different input on the TV than the one the dock is currently connected to? While we don’t have your Philips unit in our lab to test with, we have other displays by Samsung that offer similar Picture Beside Picture functionality and they have such audio options.

Let us know if that helps when you have a moment, and we’ll go from there.

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Bob,

I haven’t had time to explore the other HDMI ports on the monitor; I can say that when I unplugged the HDMI cable from the Plugable, and plugged it directly into the laptop, audio and video worked perfectly, and indeed continue to do so. Unless your device requires something to specifically be configured for HDMI sound output, that’s not the culprit.

Hi Bennett,

Thanks for getting back. Sorry if the earlier question was redundant, but given the unique capabilities of your display I just wanted to make sure I considered all options.

Our next step is to move forward with sending a replacement unit that has been pretested in our lab to ensure it is working properly. I’ll just need the following information:

1. The Amazon Order ID number for your purchase
  2. The serial number from the device itself (on the bottom)
  3. Your preferred shipping address (if it differs from what Amazon has on file)

If you can just send that information to support@plugable.com with a subject line of ‘Ticket 144336’ that will let us match everything up and get the process started (we don’t want you posting those personal details in a public forum)

Thank you for your patience,

Bob

Bob,

No worries; I’m a software developer, so I’m familiar with the vagaries of combining disparate technology (especially with anything new in the market that you don’t personally have hands on).

Email has been sent to support with the required info - thanks for your assistance!

Hi Bennett,

Thanks for getting us the information, and you are most welcome. Look for my direct reply shortly.

Thank you for your patience!

Bob