UD-3900PDZ Monitors Freezing

I have a user with a UD-3900PDZ and 2 external monitors connected to a MS Surface Laptop 3. At least once a day the 2 external monitors connected via the dock will freeze, the built in Surface screen is unaffected. They won’t go black but instead whatever was last displayed on them will be stuck there and the user can’t mouse over to those screens. The issue is only resolved by disconnecting the dock and reconnecting. I’ve done all Windows 10 updates and installed the latest DisplayLink software directly from https://www.displaylink.com. This dock had previously worked for several months without issue. Any ideas what could be going on? The user says the issue occurs the most when there’s a graphic intensive program on the external monitor(s), such as Google street view or AutoCAD.

Thanks

Hi Todd,

Thanks for contacting us! I am sorry this is not working as expected.

Based on your description of the behavior, our first step is to get some additional information from your system.

If you would, please keep the dock connected to the computer with monitor(s) connected to the docking station and attach the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug ( http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug ) to an email to ‘support@plugable.com’ with the subject line ‘Ticket #352305 - Attention Pat’ as this will allow us to examine some log files from your system to help determine the next steps.

When this error occurs, are USB devices connected to the docking station still functional, for example a USB mouse or keyboard, or are these also disconnected or interrupted?

Additionally, are the displays connected to the docking station’s HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 ports or to HDMI 2 and HDMI 3 ports? The HDMI 1 port is directly controlled by the computer’s internal graphics controller via USB-C DisplayPort Alternate Mode, while the HDMI 2 and HDMI 3 ports are controlled by the DisplayLink software.

Display freezing could be software related on the computer, for example if the DisplayLink software is abruptly disconnected from the Intel Graphics Driver, the docking station may continue to update the display with the same frames. It could also be hardware related, for example if the USB connection is dropped either by the computer or docking station the DisplayLink chipset in the docking station may continue to update the displays with the last frame. However, in either case, I would expect a display connected to the HDMI 1 output to be disconnected and show either a black screen before entering a sleep state, or a no signal detected message.

Thanks for these additional details.

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Thanks Pat, I just responded via email including the Zip debug file, let me know if you didn’t receive it.

Todd

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.