UD-3900PDZ M1 Macbook Lag & Applications Freezing

Hello,

My UD-3900PDZ dock arrived this week and I’m using it with my m1 MacBook pro. When I plug the dock a lot of the applications (Chrome, Spotify, System Preferences etc.) start freezing. I’ve tried using it just with the alt display, alt display + displaylink display and it happens in both cases.

When I remove the dock and restart the MacBook everything goes back to normal.

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us, I am sorry this is not working as expected and I am happy to help!

Software freezing or crashing could occur if the operating system has not been updated to the most recent version. I recommend following Apple’s operating system update procedure here ( https://www.apple.com/macos/how-to-upgrade/ ) with the docking station disconnected to see if this helps.

Please let me know if this helps to reduce or resolve the freezing, or if the system is already fully updated and the software is still freezing and we can go from here.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hi Pat,

I always keep the OS up to date and I updated the DisplayLink manager this morning to 1.3. After that upgrade, I’m successfully able to use my screens through the DisplayLink ports but if I use the alt HDMI port I get the same issue again. So it seems like the issue is only happening if I use the alt HDMI port on this doc.

If I don’t use the dock and just use my old USB c to HDMI hub with just one screen connected I don’t get any issues.

Hi,

Thank you for letting me know the update to DisplayLink Manager 1.3 has helped with the displays connected to the HDMI 2 and HDMI 3 ports.

The HDMI 1 “Alt-Mode” output on the docking station relies on the computer’s internal graphics controller to drive the display and I would expect it to work just like any other USB-C to HDMI adapter or hub and not cause similar behavior.

May I ask you to try this setup to see if the issue is reproduced:

1. Connect the Plugable UD-3900PDZ docking station to the computer with displays connected to HDMI 2 and/or HDMI 3 but not to HDMI 1
  2. Connect the second USB-C to HDMI hub to the second USB-C port on the computer, and connect one display to this hub, it should be detected by the computer

Please let me know if the issue is reproduced when using both the Plugable docking station and the second USB-C to HDMI adapter, or if the issue is not reproduced and we can go from here.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hi Pat,

I just tried that and it did not cause any issues. I’m using USB c to HDMI hub for one display and the DisplayLink HDMI 2 port for the second display. Everything is running smooth, with no lag or application freezing.

Please let me know if you want me to test anything else. So far it’s only happening when I use the HDMI 1 “Alt-Mode” on my UD-3900PDZ dock.

Thanks

Hi,

Thank you for testing with both devices. We have not experienced any similar behavior with this docking station and M1 systems and I would like to start the warranty replacement process and have our lab send a pretested replacement docking station.

When you have a moment please send our support team a direct email at ‘support@plugable.com’ with the subject line ‘Ticket #334027 - Attention Pat’ and we can get the replacement process started.

Thank you, and I apologize for this inconvenience.

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Thanks Pat, I just sent the email.

Hi,

With additional troubleshooting via direct email we verified this was a faulty docking station and a replacement has resolved the issue.

I will be closing this thread as the issues has been resolved, please feel free to start a new thread or contact our support team directly at ‘support@plugable.com’ if you have any additional questions.

Have a great day!

Pat
Plugable Technologies
support@plugable.com