UD-3900PDZ M1 Macbook audio problems when awakening laptop

After a couple of weeks using this docking station I’ve noticed it appears to have a problem with audio when being re-awakened by opening the MBP lid - specifially any application like Spotify or Music won’t play back audio and quitting either app then reopening it causes it to hang.

At this point, attempting to view the Audio section of the System Preferences causes system preferences to hang.

It does not do this when the docking station is not connected.

Rebooting the MBP solves the problem but obviously I don’t want to have to do that every time!

I am running macOS v11.3.1 and have speakers connected via the 3.5mm audio jack on the docking station.

So far the only workaround I have found is to disconnect the docking station, open the Audio section of the System Preferences then reconnect the docking station whilst the System preferences are still open.

Hi Matt,

Thank you for contacting us, I am sorry this is not working as expected and I am happy to help!

May I ask you to try restarting the computer ( Apple Menu > Restart ) and then log into the desktop, but don’t launch the music applications. This ensures both are fully closed (Apple+Q shortcut, or File > Quit should also work but may be less reliable) then put the computer to sleep like normal, when you wake up the computer launch the music applications and see if the same issues occur?

If the issues only occur when the computer is put to sleep with these applications open this will indicate a software conflict between these applications and USB audio devices. If the error occurs without the two music streaming applications running then the issue is most likely within macOS itself and we can proceed from here.

The UD-3900PDZ’s DisplayLink audio controller should be detected as a fairly standard USB audio adapter by macOS, I don’t expect any different behavior from the docking station than would be seen from a USB headset or USB speakers. However if macOS is not properly closing the USB connection when the computer enters sleep mode it could be causing macOS to fail to correctly establish the connection on waking from sleep.

Thank you for these additional details, I look forward to your reply.

Pat
Plugable Technologies

Hi Pat - thanks for getting back to me. Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, I don’t seem to be getting email notfications of replies to my posts. Will try another email address.

I have tried the following steps:

1. Quit all applications except DisplayLink Manager
  2. Restart Mac
  3. Ensure ‘Plugable audio’ is selected as the sound output
  4. Put Mac to sleep
  5. Wake Mac from sleep
  6. Check sound output type (via the menu bar icon) - it has reverted to ‘Macbook Pro speakers’
  7. Click on ‘Plugable audio’ - it won’t switch over (icon just spins) and System preferences hangs if I attempt to go into Sound preferences

Hi Matt,

Thank you for giving that a try, I just replicated this process and had no audio detection issues.

To help rule out a hardware fault I would like to start the docking station replacement process, for your privacy I recommend contacting our support team via email at ‘support@plugable.com’ with the subject line “Ticket #343325 - Attention Pat” and we can get the replacement process started.

I look forward to your reply email.

Pat
Plugable Technologies

1 Like

Hi Pat

So, I tried out the replacement docking station and am having the exact same issue. Having done a bit more testing, I’m becoming relatively certain that the problem only occurs when I have the USB receiver for my Logitech M510 mouse plugged into the docking station… I’ll do a bit more testing when I have time just to be sure.

Hello, I would be very interested in what you find out. I am having a very similar issue with the audio as you describe, including the hanging Music apps and System Preferences. In addition, I also have other apps hang, such as Chrome and Webex. I did find that removing power from the dock for a few seconds seems to clear the issue; although, I have to restart apps because they don’t display correctly. I’m also using the DisplayLink app using two monitors.

Hello, I would be very interested in what you find out. I am having a very similar issue with the audio as you describe, including the hanging Music apps and System Preferences. In addition, I also have other apps hang, such as Chrome and Webex. I did find that removing power from the dock for a few seconds seems to clear the issue; although, I have to restart apps because they don’t display correctly. I’m also using the DisplayLink app using two monitors.

[Discourse post]

This is such an odd and frustrating issue, so much so that I stopped using it for a few days. The workaround of recycling power to the dock is not as successful as I initially thought. It doesn’t always work and, more times than not, will require a complete reboot of the Macbook.

The issue seems to be related to the audio portion of the dock. I’ve discovered if I plug my speakers directly into the Macbook and never use it, I don’t have the issue. Other than having to plug in my speakers, the experience has been so much better.

For me it does only seem to be occurring when I have my Logitech mouse plugged into the dock. I’m trying a completely different brand of mouse today to see if that makes any difference.

Same problem - even with a completely different mouse… a wired USB one this time.

@milstev I’ve been working with @Pat_P on this testing a few things and he seems to think it’s an issue in macOS v11.3.1 & v11.4 - he’s going to try and get these findings passed onto Apple.

In the meantime I guess it’s just a case of working around the issue either by connecting headphones/speakers directly to the laptop - or changing the laptop power settings so that it doesn’t sleep whilst plugged in.

Thanks, @moloko, for the update. I’m on 11.4 now and was on 11.3 when I got the device, so that is the only experience that I have. So far, the workaround is working well for me. Please let me know if anyone figures it out, and I’ll do the same.

Hello,

I wanted to update this thread, we have submitted this issue to DisplayLink and it appears to have already been escalated to Apple.

Thank you for your patience while we await an update from Apple.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if there is anything I can do to help in the meantime.

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Pat
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.