UD-3900 wont drive 3 monitors but Win10 sees all 3 displays

Greetings! I bought a Plugable 3.0 UD-3900 model and just got my new desk, so I proceeded to setup the hub and my (2) HP VH240a 24" monitors. Initially - both monitors worked, but it had the 2nd monitor as #3, and vise versa. After unsuccessfully trying to “move” them using the Windows screen settings, I tried swapping the cables between the two monitors. The monitor #3 plugged directly into the HDMI slot works fine. The #2 monitor - plugged into the DVI slot and using the Plugable supplied DVI to HDMI adapter - stopped working altogether.

I searched various Plugable KB’s and found what appears to be the newest and closest topic: https://support.plugable.com/t/dual-monitors-not-working/17575, which I followed to no avail (no joy).

I ran the uninstall, eraser and reinstaller - but the hub still doesn’t see display #2. Windows 10 “sees” all three displays.

My machine is a 2018 ASUS TUF Gaming FX504 with the Nvidia Geforce 1050 graphics card. I purchased via Amazon and would appreciate your guidance (hoping I don’t have to mail it back).

Tim

PS just got done replacing FireCuda 1TB hybrid drive with 2TB SSD and 8Gb RAM was upgraded to 32 Gb (all tested and good) several days prior to receiving my new desk and installing the dual monitors and UD-3900.

Tim

Found an error msg string under the Advance monitor properties link:

Device DISPLAY\HPN3499\8&305f4f41&0&UID256 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: DISPLAY\BBY0050\4&33e2737&0&UID198147
Class Guid: {4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFF0000F102
Present: false

Hi @timgrizzle,

Thanks for posting!

You started off mentioning that initially, both monitors worked, but your two monitors were numbered unexpectedly in your Display settings. Then, you tried swapping the video cables between the two monitors, and that is when the issue started.

If you swap the video cables back to how they were originally, do both displays function again? Let’s take the next steps from there.

Thanks for giving us a chance to help!

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell - yes - I swapped them back and forth repeatedly. Including after a reboot, after an uninstall and reinstall of the driver and such.

Right now - the system seems like “accept” working on the HDMI interfaced, but if I plug in the DVI 3rd cable - it blacks that screen out. I can run (2) monitors - the native laptop display and (1) HP 24" inch simultaneously - but not (2+) HDMI nor DVI monitors at the same time. See the above error msg from MS Windows 10 Device Mngr.

Thanks!

Tim

Thanks for clarifying.

With the error message aisde, this behavior sounds like while the external display is being detected, it gets disabled upon connection of the additional display.

I would like to check to see if it is being shown in the Display settings page. To do so, please follow these steps:

1. Close or minimize any open windows, then ensure all monitors are connected (even though one is not working)
  2. Right-click on the desktop and select Display settings from the drop down menu
  3. Under Rearrange your displays, select the “greyed out” display from the diagram that you are having issues with a single left-click on the icon. You can click “Identify” to help you understand which monitor corresponds to which number label
  4. Scroll down to the bottom and select Extend these displays from the drop down under Multiple displays

Please let me know if if this helps, or if you do not see these settings.

Thanks!

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

With all three monitors visible by Windows 10, the #2 monitor is depicted as grey’d out and slightly smaller than the 15" laptop and 2nd 24" HP monitor. It lets me move only the laptop #1 and monitor #3, but not the grayed out monitor #2.

The system is already setup for Extended mode.

Tim

Thanks for letting me know, Tim.

At this point, I’d like to request some logs from your computer to investigate the error and current state of dock when connected. Could you please keep the UD-3900 connected to your computer (with both displays still attached), then navigate to our PlugDebug tool and follow the instructions there?

Please send the ZIP file it creates to us directly at support@plugable.com, and include “Ticket #323422” in the subject line to help match up the details to this case.

Thank you!

Mitchell

Copy - tool ran and email / rounds / log file inbound.

Tim

The logs were received, thank you!

Looking through the logs, the first thing that I notice is that only one of your HP VH240a is being recognized in your Display settings. Assuming both HP monitors were connected at the time of log capture (and that the two HP monitors are not set to mirror each other), this is a bit unexpected given your original mention that Windows is seeing all three displays.

I understand that you have already tried re-installing the DisplayLink driver. I’d like to do so following our standard re-install procedure, which also includes our latest validated DisplayLink driver version. To do so, please follow these steps:

1. Disconnect the dock from the system and please remove the power cable from the dock so it turns off completely (this is important so the unit resets). Please keep it disconnected until the last step
  2. Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel → Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, just move onto the next step
  3. Download, extract and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool (https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin/DisplayLink/DisplayLink+Installation+Cleaner+9.1.1462.exe)
  4. Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot (even if not prompted to)
  5. Now download and install the 9.4 M0 DisplayLink software (https://plugable.s3.amazonaws.com/bin/DisplayLink/DisplayLink+USB+Graphics+Software+for+Windows+9.4+M0.exe)
  6. Reattach the power cable to the dock first. Once the dock is powered on, reconnect it to your system which will trigger the final portion of the installation

Please let me know if this makes any difference with the DVI-connected display.

Thank you!

Mitchell

Dang it - sorry. I had disconnected one to get the two monitors sitting closest together activated. I’ll re-run log now.

Hi Tim,

No worries at all. Thanks for capturing that second set of logs.

In this most recent set, I see both HP monitors recognized by the computer. However, one is being set to disabled by the computer.

I provided the instructions for enabling a display that is set to disabled previously, but I understand that you stated the system is indeed set up for extended mode. Can you double-check if that setting “stuck” after you changed it? It could have reverted back to “disabled”.

1. Close or minimize any open windows, then ensure all monitors are connected (even though one is not working)
  2. Right-click on the desktop and select Display settings from the drop down menu
  3. Under Rearrange your displays, select the “greyed out” display from the diagram that you are having issues with a single left-click on the icon. You can click “Identify” to help you understand which monitor corresponds to which number label
  4. Scroll down to the bottom and select Extend these displays from the drop down under Multiple displays

We also have a video that outlines this exact issue with our UD-3900 if you might want to quickly take a look at that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irAUYfdTp4I

With this HP monitor being disabled, that clearly explains why it isn’t displaying properly, so we’ll want to figure out this detail to move forward.

Thanks!

Mitchell

Yup - cooking with gas. All good!

Love toggling stuff off and on to get it to work.

Thanks Mitchell!!!

Great to hear it a simple fix. Thanks for the update.

I’ll be closing this thread, but feel free to open a new topic or reach out to us at support@plugable.com for any other questions.

Thanks!

Mitchell