Ud-3900 will not work when plugged into USB 3 on Ubuntu 20.04

Hi.
I bought a UD-3900 so that I could add a third monitor to my Ubuntu 20.04 system. The two other monitors run off my motherboard. I have followed the instructions to install the displaylink drivers and it works fine if plugged into USB 2. Does not work at all when plugged into USB 3 which makes the USB 3 plugins useless. I also have Windows 10 which I can choose to boot from at restart. The operating systems are on separate SSD’s so no conflict there. When running Windows 10 I can unplug the plugable from the USB 2 port and attach to the USB 3 port and it works.
Any ideas?

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us, I am sorry this is not working as expected.

We support Linux on our products whenever possible. (Plugable’s founder has even submitted driver code over the years.) Unfortunately USB graphics support in Linux hasn’t reached the point where we can recommend or support this combination due to unexpected behavior like you describe above. We’re hoping that will change as development continues, and we’ll certainly update our product listings to reflect this change if and when things get to the point where we can recommend it with confidence.

DisplayLink does provide support for their chipsets and software with Linux through their website here ( https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/topics/103927-troubleshooting-ubuntu ). You may also report bugs directly to DisplayLink using the tools and instructions on this page ( https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/757047-how-can-i-report-ubuntu-issues-to-displaylink ).

Some things to check:

• The display may be disabled on connection, when connected to USB 3.0, this can be checked in the display settings ( “System settings” → “Displays” ) and enabled if disabled.
  • Does the display only fail to detect on hot-plug, for instance if the docking station is connected to a USB 3.0 port and the system is restarted into Ubuntu 20.04, does the display connected tot he docking station detect on the computer?
  • Connect the docking station to the USB 3 port on the computer, then hot-plug (unplug and reconnect) the HDMI or DVI cable to the docking station. Please let me know if this helps the system to detect the display.

If this is not resolvable with DisplayLink I can help to return the docking station for a refund, please feel free to send our support team a direct email to ‘support@plugable.com’ with the subject line ‘Ticket #332895 - Attention Pat’ and I will be happy to help start the return and refund process.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hello,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
support@plugable.com