UD 3900 -- USB hub power exceeded

Error message – “USB composite device is connected to a hub that doesn’t have enough power to support it.” I’m attempting to connect a Lenovo W540 laptop to a UD 3900 docking station. When connecting to the docking station with USB cable, the laptop gives me the error message that says, “USB hub power exceeded.” Also, a pop-up box displays that shows many unused USB ports in Device Manager (approx. 21 of them). This laptop is running Windows 7 and OS has been updated with patches. We use PC’s and Mac’s in our environment and this is the only PC, so far, that’s giving us the message. The laptop displays the error message whether driver are installed or not. I’ve ran anti-virus and malware checks on PC but nothing has showed up. I’m not ruling out the PC but just wondering if anyone has seen this before.

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for posting. I’d be happy to help with your docking station!

I see you also reached out to us directly via our support@plugable.com email address. I am responding in both places, but would ask that subsequent responses be to my direct reply so we can keep everything in one place (I’ll update this thread with any useful information). I have had a two or three customers in the past, all with Lenovo units, that have reported similar issues in each case we where never able to get to the true root. In at least one of those cases we sent a replacement unit that was pre-tested in our labs to ensure it was working properly and the results were the same with the Lenovo. Interestingly, when used with another non-Lenovo system the dock worked as expected. Would it be possible to test this specific dock with another system temporarily to see if the behavior is different? Just to confirm, you are connecting the dock directly to a USB port of the laptop?

Pending the outcome of that test, there are several posts in the Lenovo Community forums referring to the issue you describe, all with various non-Plugable products, so the issue may be specific to the system. There was one recent post that jumped out having to do with the Citrix Receiver application causing the issue –> https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Displays… The post the user is using a Lenovo Ultra dock with an integrated USB hub, but encounters similar behavior. By any chance is Citrix running on this system? If yes, does making the change desscribed in he Citrix knowledge base article help?

Let us know if that information helps when you have a moment and we’ll go from there.

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

This dock works as expected, with my Asus laptop and yes, I’m connecting directly from dock to Laptop with usb cable. No Citrix on PC. Thanks

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for getting back. Since the unit is working as expected on the Asus, I would expect the issue is unique to your Lenovo. Just to make sure we’ve done due diligence, I’d like to examine some log files from the Lenovo to see if there are any options available. Please reply to my direct email I mentioned earlier with the output of our PlugDebug utility –> http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug from the Lenovo with the dock connected. Do NOT post the file in this forum as it contains details about the system. Only respond to my direct email.

Once we have the file we’ll determine the next steps from there.

Thank you,

Bob

What is your email address and what are the log file names that you want? It may take a little time to get them. Thanks

Hi Patrick,

You should have received a direct email from me after your initial direct contact to support@plugable.com that you can reply to, but in case that email did not reach you please send the output from the PlugDebug utility I mentioned in my last forum reply (http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug) to support@plugable.com with ‘Ticket 118298’ in the subject line so I match everything up. Do NOT post the PlugDebug file in this forum as it contains details about the system.

Thank you,

Bob