UD-3900 USB 3.0 Tablet Recommendations

Plugable Experts:

I’m interested in purchasing the UD-3900 Dock for our company. I would like your recommendations before purchase for the following questions:

1. The 3900 provides superior performance through USB 3.0. Which USB 3.0 tablet(s) is plugable recommending at this time?

2. Have you heard any word through your industry connections about the Dell Venue 8 being updated with USB 3.0?

3. Will I notice much screen ‘lag’ on a single 1920 x 1080 monitor using the more powerful Venue 8 Pro 5000 line of tablets with a USB 2.0 connection and only a keyboard and mouse device installed?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you for posting the questions here!

1. We don’t generally make specific system recommendations, since customers may have differing results based on their unique workloads; what works well for some customers may not work well for others. That being said, the vast majority of Surface users that we work with are very pleased with their systems.

2. Dell hasn’t been open about upcoming changes to their Venue line regarding USB 3.0 support. The underlying hardware is already capable of USB 3.0 functionality (there’s a 3.0 controller in the system already, though the provided USB port is 2.0), so it seems that the omission of usable 3.0 functionality is a conscious choice to keep costs down and/or for market segmentation.

3. We wouldn’t expect much screen lag with a single attached 1080P display on a Venue 5000 when using most web and productivity applications. However, if there are windows open on the attached display that have lots of constantly changing pixels (video, etc), then lag could be a concern.

I hope this helps! Please contact our support at support@plugable.com if you have any other questions!

Regards,
Sachiko
Plugable Technologies